Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

csv load crashing Feb 2019 powerbi completely

I have a CSV (see excerpt below) which loads without trouble on the Dec 2018 version of Power BI desktop (2.65.5313.701 (December 2018)) but completely crashes PowerBI on the current Feb 2019 version (2.65.5376.1681).  One field from the CSV has the following characters for a null result "- ** None **".   I'm presuming that the curent PowerBI is trying to interpret the characters in the field as some kind of command rather than as text data.  I presume this is a bug that was inadvertantly created with the release of some new functionality for PowerBI.  Hoping that this gets raised as a PowerBI bug for urgent bug fix, as now we have to put in a pre-processing step to remove any leading "-"s from any CSV file before loading it into PowerBI.  Have replicated on both 32 and 64 bit versions, but have not yet tried the cloud version of PowerBI. Neither Tableau nor Qlik are effected by this string in a CSV file. Happy to provide the complete file to anyone who'd like to test the impact on the curent Power BI, but the following excerpt should still do the trick.

ID ,STARTDATE,STARTTIME,SIGNOFFTIME,WORKTYPE,ACTIVITY,MINUTES
1077,2-Jul-18,9:15,12:00,Normal,- ** None **,165
1078,2-Jul-18,12:30,17:15,Normal,- ** None **,285
1079,3-Jul-18,9:30,12:30,Normal,- ** None **,180
1080,3-Jul-18,13:00,16:45,Normal,- ** None **,225
1081,4-Jul-18,9:15,12:30,Normal,- ** None **,195
1082,4-Jul-18,13:00,16:15,Normal,- ** None **,195

Regards,

Jeff Popova-Clark

4 REPLIES 4
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Could you please share your sample data and excepted result to me if you don't have any Confidential Information.Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-frfei-msft ,

Thanks for responding.  Here is a link to a OneDrive copy of the csv file that crashes the latest version of PowerBI on several machines here.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlX_5OY8vxEsgUlUYjpG23yaXXgr

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @v-frfei-msft,

Here is the screen that is showing when PowerBI becomes completely unresponsive.  Only a Task Manager process kill of PowerBI will allow progression beyond this point.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlX_5OY8vxEsgUo9uyr4Jg0tImaL

Jeff Popova-ClarkPower BI HangsPower BI Hangs

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test using your file. I cannot reproduce your issue here by the same version as yours. Could you please share the screen shot of your issue, like pop-up message of something else.

feb.PNG

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.