Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

YLiu

cross-filtering with selections from multiple charts

Hi all,

When working on my report, it's a surprise to know that I can't cross filtering using selections from multiple charts. To make things clear, I am talking about the first point in this post http://sqljason.com/2015/09/my-thoughts-on-cross-filtering-in-power.html. 

It's so hard to believe it is not accomplished yet, so I have to post this to ask whether I am missing sth.   Can we do cross-filtering using multiple selections from different charts, like select the year in a sales bar chart and then select category in the pie chart and use both year and category to filter the third chart?

Many thanks,

Y.Liu

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think we can achieve this by  'Ctrl+click' on the bar...instead of just click on the bar

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi YLiu,

Agree with ankitpatira. Regarding to this cross-filtering issue, please vote it and add your comments in the following idea.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi/suggestions/6709520-drill-down-should-drill-or-cros...

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks, Lydia. I have already voted!

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@YLiu I believe it is still not available. I have latest power bi desktop update and I can't filter third chart based on the selection made in two charts. However there is a workaround for that. I'll explain using your example.

You can use slicer visual for category and bar chart for sales and have third chart. Then select a value in slicer, which will filter your bar and third chart. Then select in bar chart and your chird chart will be filtered again.

Hi All

This feature has added in slightly different form in the current may update as a Customizable tool tips which would give you quite a few options to select and view related data points in your current context and it is totally customizable as the name suggests. 

Please check the details of the new release at below link.

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-desktop-may-update-feature-summary/

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

I love what Microsoft is doing with PBI, but I just can't understand why this feature is still missing. It feels so basic.

Thanks for the response, ankitpatira. Yes, I realized I can add a slicer but it really destroyed the smooth flow of the report. I am glad to konw there is work around for that. Hopefully it will be done quickly.

Y.Liu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.