Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Funkmiester
Advocate I
Advocate I

cross filtering columns in the same table

This is so basic apologies, I'm missing something.

I have a fact table containing organisations, they are grouped in a separate groups, there are mutliple entries for each  organisation in the table. (The example below only shows one).

When a user selects the org name via a dropdown selector, I need the other visuals on the page to respond and filter by org group, not just a single selected org name. You can turn on and off the interactions. I have tried putting the org group into the filter, Top N etc. I can get the Org group to display in a visual but I can't use it to drive the filter on another visual. When I change the dropdown selection the group appears in the visual filter selection but I can't seem to use it as a filter without manually selecting it. ScreenHunter 387 Jul. 09 10.24.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qcx6h5ovisx10on/cross%20group%20filter%20Question.pbix?dl=0

I've posted an example file on the following link.

Example file. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

you will need second table for this - otherwise filter you put on Org Name will overwrite one coming from the Org Group, tables shouldn't have joins
new table (named Slicer) 

Org NameOrg Group
Org11
Org21
Org32
Org42
Org53
Org63
Org74
Org84
Measure = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table1'[Score]),
INTERSECT(ALL('Table1'[Org Group]),VALUES(Slicer[Org Group]))
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Thank you for the kudos 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Stachu
Community Champion
Community Champion

you will need second table for this - otherwise filter you put on Org Name will overwrite one coming from the Org Group, tables shouldn't have joins
new table (named Slicer) 

Org NameOrg Group
Org11
Org21
Org32
Org42
Org53
Org63
Org74
Org84
Measure = 
CALCULATE(
SUM('Table1'[Score]),
INTERSECT(ALL('Table1'[Org Group]),VALUES(Slicer[Org Group]))
)

Thank you Stachu

I've tried it on the PBIX file I linked to above.

It almost works, it correctly filters the graph so that only the Orgs in the selected group are displayed but they all return the same single value. How can I use the cross filtering but display the individual Score.

I've tried placing almost every attribute in every box. Any ideas?

the 'Org Name' in the chart should come from the Table, not the Slicer, that should give the proper sum - is this the case?
so - for filtering you use Slicer[Org Name], in the visual you use Table[Org Name]

EDIT - spelling

It was a PICNIC error (problem in chair, not computer)

Your solution worked perfectly but I had a filter on the bar graph visual from before that meant it didn't display properly. Many, thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.