Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bdelaney
Frequent Visitor

cross filter direction grayed out

Using Feb (latest) version of PBI desktop. Just added 3 tables from SQL Server. It is a very simple many:many relationship. The join table contains ONLY the two foreign keys. I tried to add a measure so that in a table visualization I could show the count of rows in one of the many tables compared to the other many table. My measure showed the same count on every row. I looked at this article Manage relationships and the subheading: (gawd, do you know this stupid board does not allow pasting with ctl-v. arrrggghhhh. Probably just an Edge thing) 'Adjusting Cross filter direction...'

Yep, sounds like my issue allright. But no help in the 'Manage Relationships' editor since the silly cross filter direction dropdown is unavailable. And yes, my cardinality is correct.

Using direct query. Maybe that is the problem....

Oh Jeez, I started a new PBI desktop project and used the exact same tables, but Import this time, and I get a totally different looking set of relationships. I mean it is all interpreted correctly this time. Makes the Join table the right side of the cardinality and everything. Plus I can easily choose a cross filter direction, but it is already 'both' by default, so that works for me.

I thought I'd read about all the limitations of the Direct Query mode, but this Totally f'in threw me. I'm flabbergasted.

Oh Yeah, the measure works now!?

1 REPLY 1
pqian
Employee
Employee

@bdelaney Yep. BiDi relationship is one of the limitations of DirectQuery.

Measure should be working now.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.