Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dlz217

creating relationships between tables of dates and names

I'm working with 4 tables that are part of a payroll report:

- employee names and details

- pay dates

- hourly projects, with pay dates, employee names, and project details

- unit projects, with pay dates, employee names, and project details

I think want to build analtyics around this, specifically a bar chart that you can drill down monthly and see per employee, the two types of projects they worked on side by side: hourly and unit.

In the relationships pane, I've linked One to Many between employee names and both project tables to the names. However, I can't seem to link the pay dates properly. It's saying if I create a One to Many between the Pay Dates table and both projects tables, then I create ambiguity between Pay Dates and Employee Names.

How do I create relationships for both names and dates between these two tables? Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dlz217,

In your scenario, as those three tables have a common filed [employee names], so we can build relationships among those tables based on this common filed.

- employee names and details

- hourly projects, with pay dates, employee names, and project details

- unit projects, with pay dates, employee names, and project details

Regarding the other table "pay dates", if it only contains the column [pay dates], we can't related this table with other three tables accurately, as there is no matched date value from other three tables. But if there is a column [employee names], then we can link it with other tables also use this [employee names] column. I would suggest you take a look at this article: Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop.

To create relationships, it depends on how data and columns exist in tables, please share the sample data about those four tables for our analysis.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
CheenuSing
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @dlz217

Can you please share the data model, data and output desired to figure out a solution.

Cheers

CheenuSIng

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

How do I share the model?

Hi @dlz217

The data model you can take a screen shot of the data model from power bi and post it here.

And the data you can share it in google drive or dropbox and share the link.

Cheers

CheenuSing

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution and also give KUDOS !

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.