Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

creating new tables

hi,

i'm on a project to study on-time performace for flights for various airlines and airports. i have appended few data and currently based on 2.5 years of data, my pbix file has grown to about 270mb in size. i still need to add & study data of 3 more past years & continuously add new data for coming months and years. the imported data is in csv format from a government bureau of statistics. 

here are my questions - 

1. what is the max file size limit with imported data that to work efficiently ?

2. through power query, i appended the data according to calendar year (jan-dec). so, there are now 2019, 2020, 2021 (upto may 2021) data in there. kindly advise on how to generate smaller files based on 

a. operating carrier (field name: OP_CARRIER)
   b. airport (field names: ORIGIN and DEST)

the filenames are available in all the current '2019', '2020', '2021' tables in the pbix file.

tks & krgds, -nik

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

many thanks for your inputs, @littlemojopuppy.

i'll consider them accordingly.

krgds, -nik

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
littlemojopuppy
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @Anonymous 

Regarding the first question: that really depends how much memory/horsepower your computer has.  Everything is held in RAM so if the computer is a weakling, the effective limit will be smaller.  It will also depend on how well your data is modeled.

And regarding modeling, I'd suggest not having tables for individual years.  I'd merge them all into a single table with Year as an attribute of that merged table.  Will make writing measures easier.  And you shouldn't have to create smaller files for carrier/origin/destination.  That will just complicate things too.

Hope this helps!  🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

many thanks for your inputs, @littlemojopuppy.

i'll consider them accordingly.

krgds, -nik

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.