Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dtet

creating and tracking sum of statuses

Hi, I might be completely lost on this and maybe I need to accomplish this outside of powerBI, and I am also very new to it. 

my dataset currently does not have a connection between the 'status' column and a date. the status column will change and update overtime (there is 4 status it can be in but only 2 are relevant to this). so I want to be able to know how many of each status existed on a given day. In my head it sounds like I need a table that I think on each data sync it would add a new row like so:

DateStatusCount
2021-07-13Development40
2021-07-14Development42
2021-07-14QA37
2021-07-15Development50
2021-07-15QA45
2021-07-16Development52
2021-07-16QA40

So this is the table of data Im interesting in seeing if I can create

My problem is once an item goes into a new status it stops getting counted on previous days, but the source data doesn't accurately track the dates this happens. So I guess I am attempting to track it in a simplified way

I hope this description makes some sense and I would appreciate any input on if this works or not and I can try to refine my details if anything seems unclear. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Correct.  Unless you want to manually export something daily from PowerBI, to keep externally stored, and re-import the exported data as a new source (all manual).  Or manually add a data row by hand to an 'Insert Data' table (also all manual), no way to automate historical data that changed.

Did I answer your question, or help you along the way?
Please give Kudos or Mark as a Solution!

https://www.linkedin.com/in/forrest-hill-04480730/

Proud to give back to the community!
Thank You!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
dtet

So if Im understanding my scenario, I would need to pull the data from Azure DevOps, track with a different data source and load that new source back into powerBI? I can't insert data to a custom table within powerBI? Thanks

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Correct.  Unless you want to manually export something daily from PowerBI, to keep externally stored, and re-import the exported data as a new source (all manual).  Or manually add a data row by hand to an 'Insert Data' table (also all manual), no way to automate historical data that changed.

Thank You!

fhill
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Unfourtnately, Power BI does not maintain any history or on-going reporting.  Yes, as the live data updates all your data and measures will change.

Thank You!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.