Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

brookslanz

create territories in Power BI Maps

Hello, 

I am trying to create a visual with Power BI Maps to show which Sales Rep is assigned to a state. But for some reason this is not showing correctly. It only shows correctly if I set the SAles Rep column to report level filter. It shows all the reps in the same state if the Sales Rep column is added to the visual level filter. All I really want is to have a map that shows the reps assigned to which state. Please Help!!! 

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also trying to create a territories map but by using regions The data set is very big. 

a_mixed_life
Resolver I
Resolver I

If you could provide a sample of your data, it would help and an example or screenshot of the map.

Kris
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you provide a sample of the data that you are using and are you using Filled Map, Shape Map or Map visualization?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thank you for your response.

My  data looks like so using Map visualization: 

StateSales Rep
IllinoisBilly H
OhioBilly H
MichiganBilly H
ConnecticutBrian E
New JerseyJeremy K
New YorkBrian E
TexasJohn Q
AlabamaJeremy K
IndianaJeremy K
LouisianaJeremy K
MississippiBilly H

Here is what I put together base on the data you provided. I added a few dummy salesperson as well.

StateFilled2.PNG

Kris

Or are you looking for more like this? If so, you'll need abbreviations on the state which helped. As well as putting the state under the "Page Level" filter.

StateFilled.PNG

Kris

Is this what you're looking for?

State.PNG

Kris

Yes this looks like what I'm looking for. How Do I get it that way in Power BI? The intent is to have it look like this (created with Powerview in Excel); 

Capture.PNG 

When i do this in power BI it like this for me. See how it puts all the sales reps in every state? Capture.PNG

If that's the case, you can always place the "Salesperson" under the Tooltip however it won't do you much but provide a count unless you use Zip Code or City on your data (See screenshot), that will help as well. That's how mines is setup.

StateFilled4.PNGStateZip.PNG

Kris

This is going to sound weird, but add a custom column like:

Column = 1

Add that to Size in map properties and you will have what you want.

You could also add "Sales Rep" to Size and it will change to "Count of Sales Rep" and do the same thing.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.