Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DangerHog
Frequent Visitor

create new table from begin date, end date, transactionuid

I'm not sure if this is in the correct Location...

I have a table of reservation data with a column for "reservation #", "begin date", "end date", and "revenue" (plus some other misc. columns).  The reservations often begin in one month and end in another month.  I need to roll up revenue per month so I want to create a new table for that contains a row for each day of the reservation and a new column for the average revenue per day.  The new table should let me slice and dice data by weekday, month, and whatever else I need. 

What is the easiest or best way to create the new table?

Thanks for your help!

-- Example Data --

Reservation#  ,  Beting Date  ,  End Date  ,  Revenue

9873459  ,  02/28/18  ,  03/03/18  ,  $14,512

2938279  ,  03/01/18  ,  03/06/18  ,  $3,235

-- Example Result Table --

Reservation#  ,  Beting Date  ,  End Date  ,  Revenue  ,  Avg. REvenue

9873459  ,  02/28/18  ,  03/03/18  ,  $14,512  ,  $3628

2938279  ,  03/01/18  ,  03/06/18  ,  $3,235  ,  $539

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DangerHog,

1. I have not taken online courses however, I have watched quite a few videos on https://www.sqlbi.com/, read a lot on https://www.daxpatterns.com/ and of course https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/dax-function-reference
  2. I've used a technique in Power Query the Query Editor in Power BI which may help you get started.

Using List.Transform:

List.Transform({Number.From([BeginDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.From(_))

Starting from a simple table in the Power Query Editor:

2.PNG

Add Column:

1.PNG

Expand the Custom Column:

3.PNG

Gets you:

4.PNG

Remove [BeginDate] & [EndDate] will get you to what I believe is your desired outcome (to start in you journey):

5.PNG

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!
Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DangerHog,

You can take a look at below link about expand date range with details records to new table:
Spread revenue across period based on start and end date, slice and dase this using different dates

After these steps, you can direct filter on detail date column to filter and group your records which different hierarchy levels.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply.

I think I may just be too big of a newb to understand how that helps me.

1) what are the best online classes for learning DAX and how it works in Power BI?

2) Going back to the most basic concept of my problem.  How would I take a table of begin dates, end dates and Uids and create a new table that would have a column of dates and a column of UIDs where each UID is repeated for each date in the range between begin and end.

@DangerHog,

1. I have not taken online courses however, I have watched quite a few videos on https://www.sqlbi.com/, read a lot on https://www.daxpatterns.com/ and of course https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/query-bi/dax/dax-function-reference
  2. I've used a technique in Power Query the Query Editor in Power BI which may help you get started.

Using List.Transform:

List.Transform({Number.From([BeginDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.From(_))

Starting from a simple table in the Power Query Editor:

2.PNG

Add Column:

1.PNG

Expand the Custom Column:

3.PNG

Gets you:

4.PNG

Remove [BeginDate] & [EndDate] will get you to what I believe is your desired outcome (to start in you journey):

5.PNG

Did my answers help arrive at a solution? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!

Hi Chris,  
is there a way, how i can get these lines, but only on level year and month? I do not need lines on daily. 
Thank you! 

@LindaK - I suppose you could try

List.Transform({Number.From([BeginDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.Month(_))
or
List.Transform({Number.From([BeginDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.Year(_))

Thank you for such a quick reply, I tried this Date.Year or Date. Moth but it ended in error.  

And that error is?

Error is: Expression.Error: The Date value must contain the Date component.
Details: 40940

This is the code how I write it just in case I made mistake here. (Both are dates) 

List.Transform({Number.From([first_day])..Number.From([expdate])},each Date.Month(_)))

40940 = 2/1/2012 correct?

Write as:

List.Transform({Number.From([BeginDate])..Number.From([EndDate])},each Date.Month(Date.From(_)))

Thank you very much! That one worked! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.