Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tvanover
Helper II
Helper II

create calculated field based on calculation between two fields from different tables (many-to-one)

Hi,

I have a report in which I consolidate information from 2 tables:

table A with orderlines

table B with delivery lines

there's a many-to-1 relationship between the delivery lines table and the orderlines table. (1 orderline can be fulfilled in several delivery runs).

So in my end result, I have this output:

OrderArticleOrdererd qtyDelivered qty
103426053B55
103426053R55

Ordered qty is the result of 1 record in table A

Delivered qty is the result of an aggregation in table B. it contains the sum of one or more delivery line records that are linked to one orderline record.

That's what I managed to figure out myself.

But, I need to exclude the rows from the visual, where Ordered qty = Deliverd qty. Because I only want to see information about incomplete orders.

I first tried to create a measure to calculate the difference (which worked) , but then I found out that I cannot hide rows based on a measure.

So I think I need to create a calculated column.

But I can't find the correct syntax to calculate "ordered qty - delivered qty", because they come from 2 different tables.

Can someone explain what is the best way for me to hide these rows?

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tvanover , you have to compare them on some common dimension. Refer this datediff example across the table, that will give a good idea https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
tvanover
Helper II
Helper II

@amitchangak

Hi, I've found the correct syntax for my calculated field:

Missing = calculate(sum(SalesOrderLines[Aantal Gevraagd]) - calculate(sum(GoodsDeliveryLines[Aantal geleverd])))

So now I've gotten to this point:

I have both a missing column defined as a measure, and a missing calculated field, because I want to test what works, and what doesn't: 

Order

Article

Ordered qty

Delivered qty

Missing (measure)

Missing (calculated field)

Now I only want to keep the second (105 missing) and the sixth (6 missing) record.

I've tried a add a filter on the visual, with either the measure or the calculated field, but all that happens is a spinning cursor in the top left of the visual and nothing happens.

So I have not a clue on how to proceed, to eliminated the records with 0 missing...

Hi @tvanover ,

Based on your description, you can apply the calculated columns or measure you created to the visual level filter in this table visual, and set the condition to not equal to 0.

V-lianl-msft_0-1606291317404.png

Best Regards,
Liang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@tvanover , you have to compare them on some common dimension. Refer this datediff example across the table, that will give a good idea https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.