Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

marcp
Helper I
Helper I

create a special date table

Hi everyone

I have a table of items with a reference date. For example

Item Refdate

ItemA 2017/01/01

ItemB 2017/06/01

ItemC 2018/02/26

This table is frequently updated with new items

I need to create a new unique table like this :

Item Date

ItemA 2017/01/01 (reference date for this item)

Item A 2017/01/02 (next day)

... (and so on)

ItemA today's date

ItemB 2017/06/01

ItemB 2017/06/02

ItemB today's date

ItemC 2018/02/26

ItemC 2018/02/27

ItemC today's date

Obviously, this table must be updated every day

-to add the new today's date at each item

-to add new items

I trie to figure out something with calendarauto but I don't know how to add the Item name and loop on all items

Thank you for your help

Regards

Marc

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @marcp,

If there are a quite a handful of items, I can imagine how tedious it would be to achieve your requirement using DAX so I suggest doing it in M.

list of dates.png

I was able to achieve what's on the screenshot above using the M script below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTLUN9Q3MjA0V4rViVZyAgqYIQs4AwWM9I3MQCIWSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, #"Start Date" = _t]),
    //returns Today's date based on server time or device's time
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"Start Date", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "List of Dates", each List.Dates([Start Date],Number.From( DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())-[Start Date]), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)), type list),
    #"Expanded List of Dates" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "List of Dates"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded List of Dates",{{"List of Dates", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @marcp,

If there are a quite a handful of items, I can imagine how tedious it would be to achieve your requirement using DAX so I suggest doing it in M.

list of dates.png

I was able to achieve what's on the screenshot above using the M script below.

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WclTSUTLUN9Q3MjA0V4rViVZyAgqYIQs4AwWM9I3MQCIWSrGxAA==", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Item = _t, #"Start Date" = _t]),
    //returns Today's date based on server time or device's time
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(Source,{{"Item", type text}, {"Start Date", type date}}),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(#"Changed Type", "List of Dates", each List.Dates([Start Date],Number.From( DateTime.Date(DateTime.LocalNow())-[Start Date]), #duration(1, 0, 0, 0)), type list),
    #"Expanded List of Dates" = Table.ExpandListColumn(#"Added Custom", "List of Dates"),
    #"Changed Type1" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Expanded List of Dates",{{"List of Dates", type date}})
in
    #"Changed Type1"

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

Hi @danextian

That's awesome, exactly what I needed. 

Thank you so much !

Rgards

Marc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.