Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

avcr29
Frequent Visitor

create a measure that combine column values and measures based on a type column

Hello!,

I need help please, i'm trying to combine, in a new table, data from two tables, where in table 1 i have a column X,  and on table 2 i have a measure called Xmeasure. This two values (X measure and X column) represent the same but the measure is type 1 and the column is type 2. I create a new table where i've used the function union and summerize to combine the columns in common from this two tables (date,type) so i can later make another measure (weigthed average per category) and then a rolling average  based on the date.

So this is what i have:

Table 1

Date (Month)TypeX column
Marchtype 155%
Maytype 1 

Table 2

Date (Month)TypeX measure
Marchtype 2-0%
Maytype 2 -Infinity

And this is what i want to create:

Table 3 (New Table)

Date (Month)Type
Marchtype 155%
Marchtype 2-0%
Maytype 1 
Maytype 2-Infinity

As you can see, the values of month May are blank (column) or with infinity value (measure) , this will happen because there are other columns (that are not shown here) that are filled, that's why may exists, but this values in particular are not filled yet, tho eventully May is going to be filled. 

i have created a measure to get X  in table 3 like this:

X =SWITCH(FIRSTNONBLANK('Table 3'[Type],1),"type 1",FIRSTNONBLANK('Table 1'[X column],1),"type 2",CALCULATE('Table 2'[X measure]))

but this doesn't bring the correct result. i know that FIRSTNONBLANK function is not the correct one for what i want to do because it will repeat the value of the non blank row and it doesn't distinguish the correct values per month but i don't know what other function could read a column in a measure.

i don't know if there's another formula that i can use to get the result i want. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @avcr29,

Nope, this measure is based on specific row content, when you use it in tachometer, measure can't get correspond result for summary records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @avcr29,

You can try to use following formula to get related result if it works for your scenario:

result =
VAR _currType =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table3[Type] )
VAR _currMonth =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table3[Date (Month)] )
VAR temp =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Table2, "X measure", [X measure] )
RETURN
    IF (
        _currType = "type 1",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Table1[X column],
            Table1[Date (Month)], _currMonth,
            Table1[Type], _currType
        ),
        IF (
            _currType = "type 2",
            MINX (
                FILTER ( temp, [Date (Month)] = _currMonth && [Type] = _currType ),
                [X measure]
            )
        )
    )

If above not help, please share more detail information about your formulas.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-shex-msft,

Thank you for your reply, i've tried the formula and i think it's almost there when i put it in a table the result is like this:

Date(Month)Typeresult
Marchtype 155%
Marchtype 2-100%
Maytype 10%
Maytype 20%

i think the minx function is the reason why the result in march type 2 is -100% instead of -0%.  That's why i change it a little bit :

result =
VAR _currType =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table3[Type] )
VAR _currMonth =
    SELECTEDVALUE ( Table3[Date (Month)] )
VAR temp =
    ADDCOLUMNS ( Table2, "X measure", [X measure] )
RETURN
    IF (
        _currType = "type 1",
        LOOKUPVALUE (
            Table1[X column],
            Table1[Date (Month)], _currMonth,
            Table1[Type], _currType
        ),
        IF (
            _currType = "type 2",
            CALCULATE(if(and([x measure]>-1,[x measure]<0),0,[x measure]),
FILTER ( temp, Date(month) = _currMonth && [Type] = _currType ) ) )

there i get the wright result, tho when i try to use this measure in a tachometer it shows blank, how can fix this?

Thanks!

Hi @avcr29,

Nope, this measure is based on specific row content, when you use it in tachometer, measure can't get correspond result for summary records.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.