Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vincentakatoh
Helper IV
Helper IV

covert DAX to M language

Hi, 

Need help to convert below DAX to M language.

Afterwhich, how do i add the M language code? In a) "Add Custom Column" or b) "Advanced Editor"?

MaxAttempts =
CALCULATE (
    MAX ( 'Table1'[attempts] ),
    FILTER (
        'Table1',
        'Table1'[Student] = EARLIER ( 'Table1'[Student] )
            && Table1[subject] = EARLIER ( 'Table1'[subject] )
    )
)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sure: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av_aAl3fXRbehasTVNp_izcVIvgFrA

With a couple of million rows, load might be faster with the "fast" approach (using Table.Group).

Memory-wise: Currently you could skip column "Attempts" and count the rows instead (List.Count instead of List.Max) - actually this might speed up load as well. But your sample data might give a too simplified view of your actual situation.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

No worries! You have to reference the previous step (that was "Source" in my query and is #"Changed Type" in yours):

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Final Test Results.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Raw data_no results_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Raw data_no results",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Raw data_no results_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Student", Int64.Type}, {"Subject", type text}, {"Attempts", Int64.Type}, {"test result", type text}})
    #"Custom1" = Table.Join(#"Changed Type", {"Student", "Subject"}, Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Student", "Subject"}, {{"Max", each List.Max(_[Attempts])}}), {"Student", "Subject"}),
in
    #"Custom1"

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

My suspicion is that is going to be fairly difficult to convert to M language due to the fact that M essentially deals with things at a row level primarily. For the first part of that, you could add a custom column with a Table.Max expression perhaps. In any event, perhaps @ImkeF has some ideas for you.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

You can do both 🙂

a) resembles more the DAX-logic but is slow:

= Table.AddColumn(Table1, "Slow", each 
List.Max(Table.SelectRows(Table1, (table1)=>
				table1[Student]=[Student] and 
				table1[Subject]=[Subject])
			  [Attempts])
)

If you do this via the UI, you just have to paste the code from row 2-5 into the dialogue-field.

b) is fast and a bit more advanced:

= Table.Join(Table1, {"Student", "Subject"}, 
Table.Group(Table1, {"Student", "Subject"}, {{"Max", each List.Max(_[Attempts])}}), {"Student", "Subject"}
)

This row has to be entered into the advanced editor or the formula-bar in the query editor.

Hi @ImkeF

Tried both A) & B) but get error messages for both. Can u send me a sample pbix with both? Thanks. 

My current solution uses "Calculated Column" (DAX). Was hoping to use "Custom Column" (M), thinking that M will take less system resource than DAX. For this case, am I correct? Actual data is a few millions rows. As such, system resource is important. 

2017-07-06 09_02_34-Untitled - Query Editor.png

StudentSubjectAttemptstest result
111Test_A1Fail1
111Test_A2Fail2
111Test_A3Fail3
111Test_A4Fail4
111Test_B1Fail1
111Test_B2Fail2
111Test_B3Pass3
222Test_A1Fail1
222Test_A2Fail2
222Test_A3Fail3
222Test_B1Pass1
333Test_C1Fail1
333Test_C2Pass2

Sure: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av_aAl3fXRbehasTVNp_izcVIvgFrA

With a couple of million rows, load might be faster with the "fast" approach (using Table.Group).

Memory-wise: Currently you could skip column "Attempts" and count the rows instead (List.Count instead of List.Max) - actually this might speed up load as well. But your sample data might give a too simplified view of your actual situation.

Hi @ImkeF,

I'm really a M-dummy. Please help!

Can advise how to add the "Fast" approach directly into the original table, Advance Editor? Or can you provide a sample (without creating seperate table "Fast"). Added below, but got an error message.

let
    Source = Excel.Workbook(File.Contents("C:\Users\Final Test Results.xlsx"), null, true),
    #"Raw data_no results_Sheet" = Source{[Item="Raw data_no results",Kind="Sheet"]}[Data],
    #"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Raw data_no results_Sheet", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Promoted Headers",{{"Student", Int64.Type}, {"Subject", type text}, {"Attempts", Int64.Type}, {"test result", type text}})
	#"Custom1" = Table.Join(Source, {"Student", "Subject"}, Table.Group(Source, {"Student", "Subject"}, {{"Max", each List.Max(_[Attempts])}}), {"Student", "Subject"}),
in
    #"Custom1"

Added the code but there is an error message.

2017-07-06 16_28_49-Final Test Results Student 0706 - Query Editor.png

IF a new table "Fast" is a must, can advise how?

No worries! You have to reference the previous step (that was "Source" in my query and is #"Changed Type" in yours):

let
    #"Custom1" = Table.Join(#"Changed Type", {"Student", "Subject"}, Table.Group(#"Changed Type", {"Student", "Subject"}, {{"Max", each List.Max(_[Attempts])}}), {"Student", "Subject"}),
in
    #"Custom1"

Hi @ImkeF,

Solved again. thanks for your patience. PowerBI, Power Support!

Hi @ImkeF and @Greg_Deckler,

Just wanted to feedback my observation. Conclusion is to use "Calculated Column" (DAX). 

With great help from @ImkeF, converted the DAX to M. Nonetheless, on actual data, the PBI hanged when more data is ended.  

As such, maybe for my specific purpose, Calculated Column is more resource efficient. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.