Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aake
Frequent Visitor

counting rows that are dependent from two different tables

Hi All,

I'm new to Power BI and i have problem on my begining with this app. My problem is that i would like to count the number of orders that where during production in the past. I have 4 tables:

1 Table containing only working days dates since begining of the year

2 Table With production orders containing Order number and Item number

3 Table Of start dates for each order with Order number and Start Date

4 Table Of End dates for each order with Order number and End Date.

What i would like to do is to present this data on the chart where on X axis are days from first table (working Days) and on Y axis would be value of order that was during production on each day (value) on X axis. It would be simply measured as count of Order Numbers (from second table), where Start Date (table nr. 3) < Workdate ( X value)  minus count of Order Numbers (from second table), where End Date (table nr. 4) < Workdate ( X value).

Previusly i was using Qlik app for this and it was very simple. Here i can not do this and i'm starting to worry that this is not possible.

I'm also using this data to calculate number of order opened and closed each Workday (X value) and i don't have problem with this.  I think that in Excel it would be simply "countifs" function but i was trying to use many of solutions that i fount on this forum and i had some results but the problem was that when i tried to add filter by item number ( to check number of orders during production for specific item number) then it does not apply for calculated value. Anyone got some idea witch function i should use in Power BI? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aake,

After going over the sample data provided above, I would suggest you to merge "IN" table and "OUT" table into a single table(assume it is called "Merged_IN_OUT") first, then you should be able to use the formula below to create the measure "WIP".

WIP =
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( Merged_IN_OUT ),
        FILTER (
            Merged_IN_OUT,
            Merged_IN_OUT[Start] < MAX ( workdays[Workdate] )
                && Merged_IN_OUT[Shipment] < MAX ( workdays[Workdate] )
                && Merged_IN_OUT[LastStatus] = "Shipped"
        )
    )

Here is the sample pbix file for your reference.

In addition, for more details about how to use Merge Queries in Power BI Desktop, you can refer to the following articles:

POWER BI DESKTOP : MERGE QUERY OPTIONS

Shape and combine data in Power BI Desktop

Regards

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
aake
Frequent Visitor

Does anyone can found a solution that will help?

BhaveshPatel
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @aake

The Queen of all the functions in DAX -- You should use CALCULATE function to pass on a filter to your count records.

See this VIDEO from Rob. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi Bhavesh,

I tried to use calculate function as new column in first table ( DGS_Calendar it is called - the one with workdays) ind i always have the same problem:

power BI.JPG

which i don't understand because Countrows parameter is table, and in each filter there is single column.

Hi @aake

Can you please post a sample file to recreate a solution for you. 

Thanks & Regards,
Bhavesh

Love the Self Service BI.
Please use the 'Mark as answer' link to mark a post that answers your question. If you find a reply helpful, please remember to give Kudos.

Hi @BhaveshPatel

File samples are in location below

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AgBIHH6nH3zFgtsuaWdtkA5kusSKzw

the idea is to create combo chart where on X is workday and on Y there are values of intake, output and work in progres for each day using data from location

Hi @aake,

After going over the sample data provided above, I would suggest you to merge "IN" table and "OUT" table into a single table(assume it is called "Merged_IN_OUT") first, then you should be able to use the formula below to create the measure "WIP".

WIP =
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Merged_IN_OUT,
                && Merged_IN_OUT[Shipment] < MAX ( workdays[Workdate] )
        )
    )

Here is the sample pbix file for your reference.

In addition, for more details about how to use Merge Queries in Power BI Desktop, you can refer to the following articles:

POWER BI DESKTOP : MERGE QUERY OPTIONS

Shape and combine data in Power BI Desktop

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thx for this solution,

Calculation is not ok, but you showed me how it schould look like.

What i was trying to get this:

WIP =
    CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Merged_IN_OUT,
        )
    )  -     CALCULATE (
        FILTER (
            Merged_IN_OUT,
                Merged_IN_OUT[Shipment] < MAX ( workdays[Workdate] )
        )
    )

so it works pretty well 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.