Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

count number of records based on conditions and multiplication factor

Hi there,

I'm finding myself stuck on the following:

I need to count the number of records in my table depending on the content of a "type" column, I need to multiply

the number of records * a factor or not. for example:

countfactor.PNG

if I were to use a distinctcount, I would end up with 3 in this example. What I'm after is to end up with 3.3 (1+1.3+1).  I can't seem to figure out which formula to apply. 

suggestions welcome! thanks

3 REPLIES 3
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

You can do row by row operations using one of the "X" family of measures (eg. SUMX, COUNTX, AVERAGEX, etc)

So you could do SUMX( Table1, Table1[Factor] * Table1[Count] )

Or if the factor is just there for illustration purposes you could do the following

SUMX( Table1, IF( Table1[type] = "b", 1.3, 1) )

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you @d_gosbell . I understand the logic. What I don't have is the factor itself, but a value which implies the factor 1 or 1.3. So, I would need to do a count[123] and either multiply this count by 1 or by 1.3 depending on the value, which implies the multiplying factor.  or would you suggest to add the factor to the table in power query rather. 

@Anonymous wrote:

What I don't have is the factor itself, but a value which implies the factor 1 or 1.3. 

So the second expression I suggested should achieve this it just returns a 1 or 1.3 depending on the value of [type] and then sums them (which should be the same as count and multiply)

SUMX( Table1, IF( Table1[type] = "b", 1.3, 1) )

Or you could get more literal and do the following

SUMX( VALUES( Table1[type] ) , [Count] * IF( VALUES(Table1[type] ) = "b", 1.3, 1 ) )

But you have an extra context transition by referencing the count measure so it will be slightly less performant 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.