Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

matteog
Frequent Visitor

count in related tables

Hello,

I've 2 related tables (TABLE 1 related to TABLE 2 through product field) and the following situation:

TABLE 1

REFERENCESTATUSAMOUNTDATE
reference1status 1101/03/2020
reference1status 2001/03/2020
reference2status 1001/03/2020
reference2status 2101/03/2020
reference2status 3001/03/2020

TABLE 2

REFERENCEPRODUCT
reference1producta
reference2productb

I'd need a custom measure doing the following calculation: count (distinct) the number of PRODUCT(s) which have REFERENCE(s) in status 1 with amount > 0. In my sample case I'd like to have only 1 as result since:

- producta has 2 REFERENCE(s) in status 1 >0 but I want it counted once

- productb has 0 REFERENCE(s) in status 1 > 0

Do you have any suggestions?

thanks

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matteog ,

We can use the following steps to meet your requirement.

1. Create a relationship between table 1 and table 2.

Count 1.jpg

2. Then we can create a measure like this,

Refer = 
var max_R = MAX('Table 1'[REFERENCE])
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table 2'[PRODUCT]), FILTER('Table 1', 'Table 1'[STATUS] = "status 1" && 'Table 1'[AMOUNT] > 0 && 'Table 1'[REFERENCE]=max_R))

Count 2.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that you have shared?

BTW, pbix as attached.       

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-zhenbw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @matteog ,

We can use the following steps to meet your requirement.

1. Create a relationship between table 1 and table 2.

Count 1.jpg

2. Then we can create a measure like this,

Refer = 
var max_R = MAX('Table 1'[REFERENCE])
return
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('Table 2'[PRODUCT]), FILTER('Table 1', 'Table 1'[STATUS] = "status 1" && 'Table 1'[AMOUNT] > 0 && 'Table 1'[REFERENCE]=max_R))

Count 2.jpg

If it doesn’t meet your requirement, could you please show the exact expected result based on the table that you have shared?

BTW, pbix as attached.       

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ zhenbw

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-zhenbw-msft ,

sorry for the delay, but I had to upgrade my version to open your pbix.

The solution works well and it achieves my goal. However, it is not clear to me why to use a variable. The measure works fine even without it. is it correct?

While I was waiting for an answer I tried by myself and tried this custom measure:

Measure = calculate(distinctcount('Table 2'[PRODUCT]); 'Table 1'[AMOUNT]>0; CROSSFILTER('Table 2'[REFERENCE];'Table 1'[REFERENCE];Both))
harshnathani
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @matteog ,

Ref = CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT(Table18[REFERENCE]), (FILTER(Table18, Table18[STATUS] = "status 1" && Table18[AMOUNT] > 0)))

1.jpg

Replace Table18 with Table1.

Regards,
Harsh Nathani

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate with a Kudos!! (Click the Thumbs Up Button)

Hi @harshnathani 

thank you very much for your support. Unfortunately I faced a slightly more difficult situation so that the solution does not fit .

I changed my example as below. In that case, I'd like to have always 1 as result (because I wanted to have counted PRODUCT(a) only once even if has 2 references in satus 1 and with amunt > 0 

Can you help me?

thanks and sorry for the reiteration.

TABLE 1

REFERENCESTATUSAMOUNTDATE
reference1status 2001/03/2020
reference2status 1101/03/2020
reference2status 2101/03/2020
reference2status 3001/03/2020

TABLE 2

REFERENCEPRODUCT
reference1producta
reference2producta

@matteog ,

Can you pls let me know the output you need.

Not very clear from the above example.

Regards,

HN

Hi @harshnathani ,

according to the example, I'd like to have a custom measure counting the  product (not the reference) if conditions are met  (status = 1 and amount > 0). The point with distinct count in table 1 is that if a product has 2 references (associated to a unique product) with conditions met, the measure counts 2 references. But I do not want that. I want  only to have the product "a" counted one time (I don't know if a possible solution could be to have a lookup of the product in table 1 and then make a distinct count of the field product with conditions). 

Let me know if it not clear and you need further clarifications,

thanks

@matteog 

2.JPG

Regards,

Harsh Nathani

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.