Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

count distinct on column in power query

i am trying to group by in power query but i only want it to count distinct on one column.

this is the current m code

#"Grouped Rows" = Table.Group(Source, {"PLOT", "BLOCK", "UNIT TYPE", "APARTMENT"}, {{"Count", each Table.RowCount(Table.Distinct(_)), type number}}),

how would i adjust it to do a distinct count on apartment?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

In Group By - Advanced - you can add an aggregation and choose All Rows to get all data.

That will give you a column with nested tables you can expand.

Group By.png

Specializing in Power Query Formula Language (M)

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

list.count on list.distinct should do the trick

{{"number_of_flows", each List.Count(List.Distinct([APARTMENT])), Int64.Type}

Thanks for saving my time, I've applied this to my report and it work!!

There is no solution using visual

= Table.Group(#"Expanded chat messages", {"keyword_category"}, {{"messages", each List.Count(List.Distinct([id])), Int64.Type}, {"users", each List.Count(List.Distinct([user_id])), Int64.Type}})

MarcelBeug
Community Champion
Community Champion

Don't adjust the code but start over. First select only the "APARTMENT" column and then choose Group By.

ok but will that output all the other columns too?  i need the count distinct of the apartments but by all those columns... sorry if i am not getting it.

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

In Group By - Advanced - you can add an aggregation and choose All Rows to get all data.

That will give you a column with nested tables you can expand.

Group By.png

Wow, this has just simplified so many of my queries! Thanks so much!

@MarcelBeug Thanks for the fantastic tip. You've made my day.

kbarber
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

I believe i have the same, or very similar, requirement and am not getting to the solution, though I think I am very close. To use a simplified example, consider this table (sorted by position):

simpletable.png

I would like to use PowerQuery to add a column that shows the DISTINCT COUNT OF SUPERVISORS PER POSITION.

So, the end result would be this:

simpletable2.png

I can't seem to get @MarcelBeug's solution to work for me.

Here's the example table: Example Data

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thank you,

- Kurt

UG14
Frequent Visitor

Did you get the solution to your problem?

kbarber
Frequent Visitor

I never got it to work as intended this solution, i just ended up grouping by again, but i have to say ive been using this trick alot for other group by's and its great so thank you @MarcelBeug !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.