Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

dutchgarma
Regular Visitor

converting a table to a list of lists

Hi, Im trying to convert a table (manually defined, in another query) to a list of lists but I have trouble understanding the Table.ToList function. The main thing that I dont understand is how to define the combiner function that turns the rows into lists.

Example:

id name
1 dirk
2 jeff

and I would want this to be something like

{
{"1", "dirk"},
{"2", "jeff"}
}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Table.ToList is not the right command for your request. You need to use Table.ToRows instead.

Table.ToList would return a list, but the elements wouldn't be lists, but one text field instead. This will be created combining all columns of your table/current row. The parameter you choose in the Combiner-function will be used as a separator there.

Imke Feldmann (The BIccountant)

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ImkeF
Super User
Super User

Table.ToList is not the right command for your request. You need to use Table.ToRows instead.

Table.ToList would return a list, but the elements wouldn't be lists, but one text field instead. This will be created combining all columns of your table/current row. The parameter you choose in the Combiner-function will be used as a separator there.

If you liked my solution, please give it a thumbs up. And if I did answer your question, please mark this post as a solution. Thanks!

How to integrate M-code into your solution -- How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data -- Check out more PBI- learning resources here -- Performance Tipps for M-queries

Hello Imke,

Can you help me with this?

I got this formula:

Changed Text = Text.Combine(List.ReplaceMatchingItems([Custom],Table.ToRows[Liste])," ")

Only [Liste] is in another query (the one with the table with words a want to change), so the formula is not working. Do you know the solution?

gr. Henri

Wrong shape of brackets 🙂

Changed Text = Text.Combine(List.ReplaceMatchingItems([Custom],Table.ToRows(Liste))," ")

Hi Imke,

Your code is the first step to the solution.

I made a testfile: test wordchange.pbix

So maybe you van watch at it to see what i'm doing wrong?

gr. Henri

Check out this file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av_aAl3fXRbehawXGP7MNV4hnLP8tg

& be aware that M is case sensitive.

WOW!!

Big thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.