Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rootchina
Regular Visitor

convert the json data to table in the Power BI Desktop

Hello, 

Recently, I am trying analyze the data with json format. I am confused to convert the json to a table. Here's the json data https://data.cdc.gov/api/views/mr8w-325u/rows.json?accessType=DOWNLOAD 

1. How should I write the formula scripts in the advanced query editor? 

2. Is there any restricted condition with the data size when it's loaded into Power BI Desktop? 

3. Which solution will be faster in the refresh/schedule refresh, to store the json data into DocumentDB or Azure Blob?

Thanks,

Jared Zhang

Where Big Data Meets the Cloud.
3 REPLIES 3
v-haibl-msft
Employee
Employee

@rootchina

You can use the built-in json connector and use the convert into table and expand function in Query Editor.

There is no data size limitation for Power BI Desktop but there is limitation for the data published to Power BI Service. The refresh performance maybe also related to your data, you can have a try with these two conditions and compare the refresh time.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for your instruction.

I cleaned/tranformed the json and published the report to Power BI, however i encountered an error like "Please split your data into little dataset" when I try refreshing the data. The json data size only 70M is  stored in the Azure Blob.

So I would like to know if the phenomenon indicates that Power BI refresh does NOT suite the blob storage scenatio.

Thanks & Regards,

Jared Zhang

Where Big Data Meets the Cloud.

@rootchina

The data size does not seems to be the cause since Power BI Service can refresh a dataset which is not beyond 1Gb.

How about the result if you store your json file locally instead of blob?

Best Regards,

Herbert

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.