Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dsutt519
Advocate II
Advocate II

content pack (Security Glitch)

It seems like there is a huge glitch in the security feature for PBI. Security on content packs (Analyze in Excel/Dashboards) work UNLESS a user makes a copy of the Datasets. Analyze in Excel/Dashboards will have security, but a user can access all the data by creating reports with their copy of the data set!!!!

Has anyone else had any issues?? This is crazy!!

6 REPLIES 6
v-micsh-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi dsutt519,

I think this is the way how content pack works.

All members of the group have the same read-only access to the content pack data, reports, workbooks, and dashboards (unless it's an SSAS data source, in which case your privileges are inherited with the data source).

The dashboards, reports, and Excel workbooks are read-only, but as a member of the group, you can unlock and use the dashboards and reports as a starting point for customizing your own. After you edit a content pack, you now have a personalized version of the content pack.

This is different from dashboard sharing, which gives read-only access to a dashboard and associated reports. Read How should I share my dashboard? to decide on the best option for your situation.

Quoted from here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-service-organizational-content-packs-intro...

So I think Make a copy here should be the same function as to personalize Dashboards or reports in Content pack.

And if you have any further concern about security part of content packs in Power BI, please share your idea through the following site:

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards

Michael – The glitch is that security works UNTIL a user makes a copy of the data set and there is no way to prevent them from doing so…

This is frustrating!

Hi dsutt519,

I understand your situation.

If we would like the user to see the dashboard without accessing the dataset, then please take a consider to use share a dashboard.

Currently Content Packs has no available settings to configure the dataset restriction, regarding dataset copy function.

Regards

So yes there is a glitch and yes it is frustrating. Hopefully it gets resolved soon…

Hi dsutt519,

Content pack and the Role Level Security works, please check it.

For the group property, make sure the Privacy settings is set to "Members can only view Power BI content."

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-weekly-service-update-1020/

Regards

Security still does not work in Content Pack once a user makes a copy of it!!! 😞

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.