Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aogata
Frequent Visitor

consistent display of multiple text fields

I would like to display some informational comments associated with my dataset.  

Imagine that you use a slicer to select a date datapoint.  It is associated with the text string: "first day for quarterly report".

I can use a card visualization to display the text string.

My problem occurs when selecting multuple datapoints through the slicer.

The card seems to randomly choose which string to display.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

1- display ALL strings selected (would need a scroll bar)

2- display the FIRST or LAST string (since the datapoints are dates, it could take that into account)

Is there a way to do this with either basic or custom visualizations?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, well we can use CALCULATE() to solve this problem. I'm curious if it can be done easier, though. Anyway, this works:

Latest Date = CALCULATE(MAX(MuhDates[Comment]), FILTER(MuhDates, MuhDates[Date] = MAX(MuhDates[Date])))

Let's see if this forum allows GIF images:

2017-07-14_11-36-00.gif

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you're working specifically with dates, you can create a measure for the text you're after and display that in a card. I've done this a few times.

FIRSTDATE()/LASTDATE() would get you the information. From here, you can use FORMAT() to get it how you want it, such as having long text month names or 2-digit years.

PBIDesktop_2017-07-14_10-31-41.png

I'll test it as suggested, but I thought I'd clarify what I'm after (just to make sure)

If my data looks like this:

date          comments

May1        first day

May2        second day

May3        third day

May4        fourth day

May5        fifth day

And I have 2 visualizations:  

A slicer for date selection

A card for comment display

If I select dates: May2, May4 & May5, I would like for the card to consistently display "fifth day" (the comment associated with the latest date)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha, well we can use CALCULATE() to solve this problem. I'm curious if it can be done easier, though. Anyway, this works:

Latest Date = CALCULATE(MAX(MuhDates[Comment]), FILTER(MuhDates, MuhDates[Date] = MAX(MuhDates[Date])))

Let's see if this forum allows GIF images:

2017-07-14_11-36-00.gif

Nice! thank you

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.