Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

J-ML
Regular Visitor

connection error to Sharepoint List

I've the following error when I try to refresh data from a connection to a Sharepoint list. I've also this issue when I try to create a new fresh connection to it:

Expression.Error: The columns parameter must be null, specify the number of columns, specify a list of column names, or specify a table type.
Details:
[List]

help, I'm lost.

J-ML_0-1617004844664.png

20 REPLIES 20
Syndicate_Admin
Administrator
Administrator

The alternative I found was to re-create the connection

JOSELUISMTZRMZ1_0-1692295770174.png

Thus my list was opened without error.

From the advanced editor of the Connection Failure Query copy the lines of code after opening the list and paste them into the New Connection Query

shubh_271295

hi, 

is this issue resolved?

A month ago , it was not throwing any error and now i m getting this first time ...any help would be appreciated

FYI i am using V2 SP list connector

Shanker1021293
Regular Visitor

Hi, is the issue resolved with v2??

I'm facing the issue while getting the data from sharepoint using v2. Can someone help me to resolve this?

Using v1 is taking a lot of time to load the data? atleast can someone show a way to load the data quicker with v1?

Shanker1021293_1-1673451154195.png

are you accessing the default view or a custom view  (which should be faster)

@lbendlin 

So the attached error pops up when im using v2 either default view or custom view. Any help on this please

ow many columns in the view?  More than 6 lookup fields?

yes 13 columns

try with different views, ideally with only a few columns.

Hey, I need all those 16 columns to prepare the report. Unfortunately Advanced version v2 is not working (default view or all columns). Is there any fix going on OR is it an issue the way am doing the report? Please tell me this.. The error snippet has been added in my 1st comment

any update on the issue mentioned. I think this is not only for the power bi, we see this issue even with the excel power query

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

ah, sorry - I think you should raise it as an issue so they can consider it for improving the v2 connector.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

See if the behavior is any different at API level 14.

It's working fine with ApiVersion 14 (connector v1) I can see the content of the list

But I can't use ApiVersion with connector v2 because it's not a valid option

AlexisSouquiere_0-1619626161967.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

lbendlin_0-1617281517304.png

@lbendlin I'm having exactly the same issue (PBI Desktop April 2021).

When trying to use the Sharepoint Online list v2.0 some lists can't refresh. For most of them it's working properly but on few lists I have this error. All my lists looks like the same I have Person or Group, Lookup, Number, etc. columns so I don't understand what's wrong.

With the v1 connector it's working fine. I'm trying to improve the refresh time with the v2.0 but it's impossible right now. I have another report on which it's working well  

If someone has fixed the issue I'd be glad to hear how !

v-eqin-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @J-ML ,

This means that the server returned an error. There may be an error message in the body of the HTTP response; if so, you can use a tool like Fiddler to trace your HTTP traffic and see what the message is.

Perhaps it is best to start a new query, and select Sharepoint Folder with the above URL. Better to clear and re-fill data source settings, or start from a new blank file.

Refer to:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Unable-to-access-to-SharePoint-Folder-with-Files/td-p/87111...

https://www.poweredsolutions.co/2019/04/04/connecting-to-files-in-sharepoint-onedrive-with-power-bi-...

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Sharepoint-Folder/m-p/237546

Best Regards,
Eyelyn Qin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You are using Web.Contents().  You are supposed to use Sharepoint.Tables().

Can you detail how please? I'm a beginner.

J-ML
Regular Visitor

Sure, inputing the site URL, and choose the wanted list. the first times I've done it everything was working fine, update too, I was able to manipulate data in power query as I needed.

but now I'm not able to retrieve any data from this List, I tried to create new project but the error message each time I try to connect to it.

when I link to the source, I've error in the column Item:

J-ML_0-1617091060062.png

when I expand it I've following errors:

J-ML_1-1617091135803.png

J-ML_3-1617091259269.png

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

needs more information.  Are you specifying the base URL as requested?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.