Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

huzhan

connect to different azure databases on the same server with 2 different users

Hi,

I've two azure databases on the same server. I created a report A towards database DB_A using credential account_A. Now I want to created a new report B in a new pbix file towards database DB_B using another account. What I found is when I try to set the new account, it would always using the previous account_A to try to connect DB_B, whichh would fail then.

My question is:

is there a way to connect differnt databases in the same server using differnt accounts , in differetn pbix file?

From my screenshot, you could see, if the server is used in previous pbix, when you click OK button, it would not prompt the new window to let you set the user account/pws, it would just use the previous connection

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @huzhan,

Current, power bi desktop not support multiple credentials in same pbix file.
For your requirement, you can vote below idea:

Multiple accounts management for the same data sources. E.g. storing of two google analytics credent...

In addition, you can try to save the azure database as odata, then use odata to connect the other credentials.(not recommend, low performance)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
aslincey

Hi,

I am experiencing same issue. Two different pbix files.  Both point to the same Azure server but using different login credentials. Each time I swap between files , I need to manually edit "Data Source Settings" to change the login & password combination as PowerBI Desktop remembers the last credentials.

Regards

Al

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @huzhan,

Current, power bi desktop not support multiple credentials in same pbix file.
For your requirement, you can vote below idea:

Multiple accounts management for the same data sources. E.g. storing of two google analytics credent...

In addition, you can try to save the azure database as odata, then use odata to connect the other credentials.(not recommend, low performance)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

@huzhan There are no screenshots attached to your post, but I think you should be able to get around this.

First, you need to clear out the cached data source. File -> options and settings -> data source settings -> global permissions - select the datasource and on the bottom clear permissions

This gets rid of the cached data source.

Then you will be able to connect to the server/database with the new login.

If you specify both the server and the database, this should prompt you to choose credentials for the other connection. if you don't specify the database, I can see where the server only connection automatically defaults to the initial creds...

let me know if that works out.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.