Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

conditionally duplicate column

We have a data set in Excel with customer data. The set has a few columns:

Customer Name

Customer Number

Customer Group

Each Customer (=each row in the Excel file) has a unique Customer number. Some Customers are part of the same group (related customers). They each have a unique customer number, but they all have the same group number.

A Customer group consist of one or more customers.

In the data set we receive, all 3 columns have a value if the customer is part of a group of 2 or more customers. However, if the customer has no related customers, the field Customer Group is empty.

We would like to create an additional column, whereby we populate that column with the Customer Group Number, and in cases where the Customer has no related customers (meaning the value in the column 'Customer Group" is blank), we would like to copy the Customer number into that column.

Is that possible?

What we try to achieve is to create a column where all customers have a Group Number (even the ones that do not have a related customer, in which case their group number will be their own Customer Number)

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@Anonymous You can create a calculated column to do this. It would look something like this (Substitute your actual table and field names.

NewGroup = IF('Table1'[group] = BLANK(), 'Table1'[Num], 'Table1'[group])

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

Hi @Anonymous,

= IF('Combined PDAR'[Connection ID] = BLANK(), 'Combined PDAR'{Entity ID],'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID])

In addition, also change "{" to "[" in the formula.Smiley Happy

=
IF (
    'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID] = BLANK (),
    'Combined PDAR'[Entity ID],
    'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID]
)

Regards

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@Anonymous You can create a calculated column to do this. It would look something like this (Substitute your actual table and field names.

NewGroup = IF('Table1'[group] = BLANK(), 'Table1'[Num], 'Table1'[group])

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks !

The Table is called 'Combined PDAR'

In that table we have a field with the Customer Number called 'Entity ID'

And a field with the Customer Group number called 'Connected ID'

So I duplicated the column 'Connection ID' (since I do not want to loose the original data) and then added a custom formula:

= IF('Combined PDAR'[Connection ID] = BLANK(), 'Combined PDAR'{Entity ID])

I get the following error:

Expression.SyntaxError: Token Literal expected.

@Anonymous You are missing the final part of the formula

= IF('Combined PDAR'[Connection ID] = BLANK(), 'Combined PDAR'{Entity ID],'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID])

essentially you are saying: If the "Connection ID" is blank, use the "Entity ID", otherwise use the "Connection ID"

Hi @Anonymous,

In addition, also change "{" to "[" in the formula.Smiley Happy

=
IF (
    'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID] = BLANK (),
    'Combined PDAR'[Entity ID],
    'Combined PDAR'[Connection ID]
)

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.