Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

oxbord
Regular Visitor

conditionally color data

Hello World !

on a simple column chart with on the x-axis the date and on the y-axis some measure,
i would like to be able to give a specific color for week-ends,
another for holidays, another for special days...
the model is simple, a fact table related to a date dimension containing the information about those days
(a column with 1 for week end, 2 for holyday, 3 special event... )

is there a way to do that ? if not, some other solution to be able to visualize that information ?

Thank you for the help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can look at using the DateAttribute field as a legend entry. You can then use the visual 'Formatting' menu (the paintbrush icon under the Visuals pane) to change the data colors of your legend entries.

View solution in original post

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Only one field is allowed for the legend field well. You may be trying to pack too much information into a single visual. Could you provide a small table visual alongside your current chart listing the dates in context and what their type is? Slicing to e.g. a month or a week would filter that table down. Clicking on a specific date in the existing chart would give you just that date's attributes in the table.

This chart + detail table is an idiom I use pretty frequently. Visuals are exceptional for spotting trends and relative proportions, and can hold an incredible density of data if used properly. At a certain point, though, information density becomes a negative.

This is all very subjective, but I hope these thoughts help you in designing effective reports for your organization. I realize I've not really given a self-contained satisfying answer here, and for that I apologize.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

You can look at using the DateAttribute field as a legend entry. You can then use the visual 'Formatting' menu (the paintbrush icon under the Visuals pane) to change the data colors of your legend entries.

Thank you for your answer, it works well but i have another problem now, i already had a dimension attribute (from another dimension i didn't talk about) in the legend entry, it's not possible to had a second one ?

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Only one field is allowed for the legend field well. You may be trying to pack too much information into a single visual. Could you provide a small table visual alongside your current chart listing the dates in context and what their type is? Slicing to e.g. a month or a week would filter that table down. Clicking on a specific date in the existing chart would give you just that date's attributes in the table.

This chart + detail table is an idiom I use pretty frequently. Visuals are exceptional for spotting trends and relative proportions, and can hold an incredible density of data if used properly. At a certain point, though, information density becomes a negative.

This is all very subjective, but I hope these thoughts help you in designing effective reports for your organization. I realize I've not really given a self-contained satisfying answer here, and for that I apologize.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for your advice, i finally found something that suits my needs, here's a screenshot:

greggyb
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

@oxbord, that is a really nice presentation. Very clean and clear communication. Thanks for sharing with us.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors