Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SH-VE
Helper IV
Helper IV

conditional divide

Hi all,

I need to calculate WAP by divding Sales by quantity only for columns which has been categorized as priced. The quantity under unpriced should not be added.

In the WAP column below I have entered following formula:

WAP = DIVIDE('Master Pricing Data'[Sales],'Master Pricing Data'[Quantity]). Hence, It is dividing sum of all three quantities by total sales.
Kindly help , so that the divide is as follows: WAP= (Sales (Row2)+Sales (Row1))/((Quantity (Row2)+Quantity(Row3))).

Thanks

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - It looks like you're creating WAP as a Calculated Column. It needs to be a Measure.  Also, Numerator and Denominator need to be Measures.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
v-frfei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SH-VE ,

We can use FILTER function here to get the excepted result.

WAP =
VAR sales =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Master Pricing Data'[Sales] ),
        FILTER ( 'Master Pricing Data', 'Master Pricing Data'[Priced/Unpriced] = "Priced" )
    )
VAR quantity =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Master Pricing Data'[Quantity] ),
        FILTER ( 'Master Pricing Data', 'Master Pricing Data'[Priced/Unpriced] = "Priced" )
    )
RETURN
    DIVIDE ( sales, quantity )

Regards,

Frank

Community Support Team _ Frank
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the others find it more quickly.

Thanks for the email. I entered the following function in the calculated Col "WAP"Capture 2.PNG

However, Its still calculating the quantity for "unpriced" row. Please see the example of Ideal roffing as enclosed. PP

Excel version Pivot of the background dataExcel version Pivot of the background dataWill you suggest to create a helper (dummy column) or kindly suggest if there is somthing incorrect in the manner i have entered the function. 

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - It's difficult to see what the problem is with your example. Could you supply a dataset, or image of what you're trying to accomplish, including the measure and description of what is wrong with it?

Thanks,

Nathan

Hello,

1. Please see the interface of my report which I want to achieve.The price/unpriced filter should give WAP only for the quantities which has been Priced. the top-right chart should accordingly show top customers by WAP which has been "priced"The price/unpriced filter should give WAP only for the quantities which has been Priced. the top-right chart should accordingly show top customers by WAP which has been "priced"
  2. Please find enclosed the cleaned data excel , for the report above. Col D of the excel tags each entry as  priced or unpriced. Please Note Col A for customers. Here, Some quantities for a particular customer (ex. Bai, Col, Ide) is priced while some are unpriced. In such cases the WAP in the final table should calculate WAP only priced quantities (899,1676,1254 respectively). For customers for which every thing is priced (ex. Ken, Kon) it should calculate for total sales/ total quantity (704, 947 respectively). Please , see the desired WAP in Col "I'.

I am not able to attach the working excel. Is it possible to share files. it would be great if you can tell me how to? Meanwhile please see a snaphot of the excel below.Capture 2.PNG

Please let me know if you need more info.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - The solution that @v-frfei-msft  provided looks like it should work for your requirement. One thing you could try is to split out the numerator and denominator into 2 additional measures for testing:

WAP Numerator =
    CALCULATE (
        SUM ( 'Master Pricing Data'[Sales] ),
    )

WAP Denominator = CALCULATE ( SUM ( 'Master Pricing Data'[Quantity] ), FILTER ( 'Master Pricing Data', 'Master Pricing Data'[Priced/Unpriced] = "Priced" ) )

It worked for those entries which have one priced and the other unpriced, like this one.Capture.PNG

However , those which have more than one priced , its incorrect, beause its adding up individual WAPCapture.PNG

In secind case WAP should 899. However , its adding up 1250 and 808 to give 2058 as the result. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - That calculation should work, so we need to see the text of your calculation and a screenshot of the wrong result in a Power BI visual. You may need to let us take a look at your pbix - you can upload it to dropbox or onedrive. Of course, protect your data.

Cheers!

Nathan

Thanks Nathan, 

Here are the visuals

Capture.PNG

Thw incoreect result on Power BI

Capture 1.PNG

The formula used

Capture 2.PNG

I will work on sharingthe PBIX.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - It looks like you're creating WAP as a Calculated Column. It needs to be a Measure.  Also, Numerator and Denominator need to be Measures.

How can I change existing WAP column to a measure column?

When I tried to create a new measure with formula : WAP1 = DIVIDE([WAP Denominator],[WAP Numerator]); it does 0 as the result.Capture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE  - Need to see the definition and results of the WAP Numerator and WAP Denominator also.

please see enclosed:

the resultthe result

The definition used :Capture 1.PNG

for denominatorCapture.PNG

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SH-VE - I was really baffled, but then saw the DIVIDE - Numerator needs to be first:

DIVIDE([WAP Numerator], [WAP Denominator])

Hi Nathan,

Thanks a lot for the help. It totally works now.

Thanks again.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @SH-VE ,

Your calculation suggests that you don't want the Sales for row 3 - is that correct?

Thanks,

Nathan

Sorry for the incorrect reply earlier. I want the sales/quantity only for last two rows.

HI Nathan,

That's correct . I want sales for only those that has been "priced".

Thanks,

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.