Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Twilla
Helper I
Helper I

concatenated key: create column or calculated column?

Hi all,

I have a lot of composite keys (2 columns) that should be concatenated to make the model work in Power Bi.

Now I have 2 options:

1) I concatenate the fields in the view that i have in my oracle database (so I have an extra column in Power BI)

2) I create a calculated column in Power BI that concatenates the values of the two columns.

I also want to keep the original columns so the fact that I would have two columns less when chosing option one is not valid.

So my question? What is the better option?

1 REPLY 1
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Twilla,

I would choose option 1 in this scenario.

Assume you need to create another report that also imports this database in future, then you'll have to consider concatenating the columns again when creating the new report in Power BI if you choose option 2. With option 1, it shouldn't be a problem any more. As for the performances, there may be some difference between them, however, I don't think there is too much. Smiley LOL

Regards

Helpful resources

Announcements
March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.

Fabric Partner Community

Microsoft Fabric Partner Community

Engage with the Fabric engineering team, hear of product updates, business opportunities, and resources in the Fabric Partner Community.