Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

concatenate x-axis does not work for all char types?

The new feature to turn off concatenation does not work for all chart types such as the Line and Stacked Column Chart.

Does anyone know if that is a bug and they plan to fix that or...?

Thanks!

25 REPLIES 25
Amanda
Employee
Employee

Hey Everyone,

Please try resorting your axis alphabetically (even if it is that way now, sort by something different and then alphabetically again). The hierarchical axis works for combo charts just the same as column charts currently. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, but what if I don't want the x-axis to be sorted alphabetically?  Is there a solution where I can keep concatenate labels off while also not sorting alphabetically?

I sorted my x-axis alphabetically and the concatenate labels option was turned off, but when I tried to resort by a different metric (e.g. total sales), the concatenate labels option was turned back on.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This seems to work now for line and stacked column chart! Thank you very much!

Hi!

I'm currently having the same problem! My x axis has week numbers and year.

Tried the tip that @Amanda posted, but it is just working for descending order and I want my chart in ascending order. Anyone who have experienced the same and have a solution for this?

I experienced the same. I ended up creating the exact same bar chart on another tab and it worked as should. The only thing that I have found to work so far.

brjones
Advocate I
Advocate I

Yes, please fix this.

9 months to fix a single line of code? Is this some kind of joke?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

At this point I am pretty sure the "one liner" fix wasn't a one line after all. I just wish they could have informed that it would take a year or so to fix it, so everyone could have taken a different path. 

This is getting ridiculous, no wait it already is!

kevingeorge079

please fix this issue for stacked column and line chart

kevingeorge079

please fix this issue

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

Based on my test in the latest Power BI desktop version 2.41.4581.361, Concatenate Fields can work fine both in a line chart and stacked column chart. Please follow the steps below to use this feature:

1. Create a line chart which has hierarchy.

2. Click the button to expand all levels.

q2.PNG

3. Concatenate Fields is turned on by default.

q3.PNG

4. Turn off this feature.

q4.PNG

Reference:
Hierarchical axis

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

This intially worked for the first two test 'drill into' a clustered column chart but then it start concatenating again.  I have the most recent version of Power BI Desktop (June 2017 update). 

The 'turn off' concatenation option does not work.  MS BI really needs to fix this as it become worthless if you drill more than one or two levels.

Regards,

It is really frustrating to hear that there is a simple fix in february and then wait until July to find out the fix isn't out there yet. If not going to be fixed, I rather be told so. 

Hi all,

This is August month going on and still the Concatenation Label feature for the axis is not available for the Waterfall, Line and Clustered column & Line and Stacked column charts. I've reported for this feature on the ideas.powerbi.com forum. Please vote for this feature so that it will be available soon. Here is the link to vote for this idea : 

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/30928528-concatenate-label-featur...

Thanks.

It does not seem to work for the combined line and stacked chart though:

LineAndStackedChart.png

Neither of those seem to support it 😞

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

I also find the Concatenate Fields feature is not supported in combo chart. And I have reported this issue internally, will get you update once get information from product team.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

Sorry for the late response.

I go the feedback from PG today, they said:

"This is a bug with a simple fix, we added this feature to the capabilities file for line and column but seems we forgot to add one line to enable this for comboCharts. We will fix ASAP."

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Hey @v-qiuyu-msft,

at least not working in my line and stacked column chart! Works fine if I change chart to stacked column chart. Just downloaded the february update, still not fixed!?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.