Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

concatenate of multiple column in a single column

Hi All,

I am trying to concatenate 3 column values (UserName,Request Sent and Response received) where one is Text and other two are integers as per the snap below. 

Capture.PNG

This data I am using as a source to drill down chart where on click on each squad I need UserName with sum of Request sent and Response Received.

Expected Output:

On click of CFO Legal(Squad) -> Danny (1/1)

Chris (0/1)

Vikram (0/1)

Kally (1/1)

On click of CFO Office(Tribe) -> Danny (2/2)

Chris (1/2)

Vikram (1/2)

Kally (1/2)

Any help would be much appriciated.

Thanks,

Sud

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Sud,

Power bi doesn't support creating dynamic column using selection value of a slicer and you also can't select column name from a slicer because slicer only filter rows. In addtion, it seems like you just want to calculate the aggregation value by two columns [Tribe] and [Squad], as a workaround, you can create two calculate columns using DAX formula below:

Based on Tribe = 
VAR Total_Of_Request = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Request Sent]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]))
VAR Total_Of_Response = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Response Received]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]))
RETURN
Table1[UserName] & " " & "(" & Total_Of_Response & "/" & Total_Of_Request & ")"

Based on Squad = 
VAR Total_Of_Request = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Request Sent]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]), Table1[Squad] = "CFO Legal"))
VAR Total_Of_Response = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Response Received]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]), Table1[Squad] = "CFO Legal"))
RETURN

1.PNG2.PNG  

Hope it's helpful to you.

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
johnmu
Helper I
Helper I

Is there a reason the output needs to be in a single field?

Could you not make a table with Username, Responses Received, and Requests Sent as the field with Squad and Tribe set as filter visualizations?

You would get the expected output, in seperate fields

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @johnmu,

This is the business requirement. I need a single column value for this to use in chicletSlicer where I can't use more than one column.

Thanks,

Sud 

Hmm...I have a feeling that's not possible, since I think the only way to achieve something like that would be with a measure, and a measure can't be used as a filter. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

With a column I tried without SUM it works. When I add SUM to Request sent and Response Received it gives the sum of all instead of grouping. Here is the DAX without SUM.

Column1 = CONCATENATE( Table1[UserName] & "(" & Table1[RequestSent], Table1[Response Received] & ")" )

Thanks,

Sud

Hi Sud,

Power bi doesn't support creating dynamic column using selection value of a slicer and you also can't select column name from a slicer because slicer only filter rows. In addtion, it seems like you just want to calculate the aggregation value by two columns [Tribe] and [Squad], as a workaround, you can create two calculate columns using DAX formula below:

Based on Tribe = 
VAR Total_Of_Request = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Request Sent]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]))
VAR Total_Of_Response = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Response Received]), ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]))
RETURN

Based on Squad = 
VAR Total_Of_Request = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Request Sent]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]), Table1[Squad] = "CFO Legal"))
VAR Total_Of_Response = CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[Response Received]), FILTER(ALLEXCEPT(Table1, Table1[UserName]), Table1[Squad] = "CFO Legal"))
RETURN

1.PNG2.PNG  

Hope it's helpful to you.

Jimmy Tao

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.