Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

concatenate Labels does not work properly

When using concatenate labels on combo charts or ribbon charts, it does not work properly.

This thread has details on the issue: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Concatenate-Labels-option-does-nothing/td-p/98919/highlight...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

The Concatenate Labels does work with combo charts and ribbon charts.

Please ensure the chart sort by x axis values. You can also see Amanda's reply here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/concatenate-x-axis-does-not-work-for-all-char-types/td-p/100...

Please run teh latest Power BI desktop version 2.58.5103.501. 

a1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @OneWithQuestion,

The Concatenate Labels does work with combo charts and ribbon charts.

Please ensure the chart sort by x axis values. You can also see Amanda's reply here: http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/concatenate-x-axis-does-not-work-for-all-char-types/td-p/100...

Please run teh latest Power BI desktop version 2.58.5103.501. 

a1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

For posterity on this thread, this might be "solved" but it's still probably a bug.  I'd expect the behavior to be when I disable "Concatenate labels" I'd see the hierarchical grouping take effect on the x-axis of my chart.  It does not though, at least not immediately.

To get it to take effect, I have to sort as @v-qiuyu-msft mentioned above, but in my case since my chart was already sorted the way I wanted, I had to re-sort it.

It would be great if an already sorted chart (i.e. by the labels on the x-axis) would have the concatenation removed automatically without having to re-sort.  Suffice to say, if you re-sort the chart by your x-axis label, the concatenation removal/grouping will take effect.

This result is the actual answer, the only thing that fixed this bug for me was to change the sort from being the x-axis and then change it back to being the x-axis and then this fixes the problem. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Amanda for the initial solution, appreciate the help!

@v-qiuyu-msft Is there a solution for if I want to keep the x-axis sorted by a different metric?  This works initially when I sort the x-axis alphabetically, but then when I re-sort by a different metric (e.g. total sales), the concatenate labels option turns back on.  This seems like a pretty glaring shortcoming to me.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.