Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

majdkaid22
Helper V
Helper V

compress dataset

Hello Community,

I have a Dataset used by a user who every time create new measure or update something in the power query, would refresh the dataset on the desktop and then publish it. 

The DataSet size is now over 1gb and it's taking considerable time in the auto refresh of Power Update app (it does auto refresh every 5 mins) 

I would like to reverse the the amount of records in the Desktop Dataset, and Let Power BI Service query the refresh. 

Is there anyway I can reverse the data size in power query to minimize the dataset size? 

Much appreciated,

5 REPLIES 5
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

HI @majdkaid22

Do you just want to reduce the amount of time taken refreshing when building the reports, or for just refreshing a published report?

What is your underlying data source?

You could set a filter on your dataset to only bring in recent records?

Perhaps remove unnecesssary columns and make sure you don't have any columns in your largest tables that have Datetime fields that include hours/mins/seconds (convert these to Date only column, and have a 2nd column for Hours/minutes if needed)

Just some ideas.

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark thanks mate. all the above have been taken into consideration already. we are in the FX Trading and I have tables with over 1m rows a day. 

My data sources are SQL, MYSQL mainly 

If your datasources is MS-SQL, have you considered building a summary table in SQL prior to Power BI rather than reading from raw tables?

What is the lowest grain you need to report on in Power BI?  That would be the target level of summarisaion in SQL.

Proud to be a Datanaut!

@Phil_Seamark that is a long term option which am working on. at the moment I have MYSQL DB which are a bit messy and I don't have the enough resources to structure views in there. 

Guess I will have to try and go on another round of removing unrequired columns...

Cheers mate

Columns that have unique values are good ones to target.  If you can get rid of these then your ability to compress will be improved.

Also if you can pivot data to be vertical rather than horizonal, this will help

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.