Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

composite slicer strategy

Hello fellow bi'ers,

I have a slicer strategy question..I'm wanting something that looks like a heirarchy slicer--but it's really a composite, not a heirarchy. Here's a picture. In essense, there are many attributes that one can select to put together a list/group of data points.  Each attribute is a field--and in one table.  It get's clumsy when there isn't a clear all type of thing and it would be easier if it were all together.  

Any strategy ideas would be great!  Thanks, Tom

Capture.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ThomasDay

In this scenario, you can create a new hierarchy. And then use the HierarchySlicer.

1. In Power BI home page, right click the attribute which will be the top level of the hierarchy, selected “New hierarchy”.
  2. Right click the other attributes and select “Add to … Hierarchy”. A top-down hierarchy can be created by yourself now.
  3. Put the hierarchy you created into Fields of Hierarchy Slicer.
    123.png

Regards,

View solution in original post

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

From the author: 

----------------

The current version of the slicer only allows multi-select if a item of a level only have one parent. If you look at your hierarchies: the single select version the ‘N’ and ‘Y’ items have multiple parents: ‘Disprop Share’, ‘RRC’ and ‘Teaching Hosp’. This will prevent the multi-select option.

----------------

Apparently a new version is in the works in the next few weeks as Jan's figured out how to work around the issue.  Thanks in advance!

Tom

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@ThomasDay

In this scenario, you can create a new hierarchy. And then use the HierarchySlicer.

1. In Power BI home page, right click the attribute which will be the top level of the hierarchy, selected “New hierarchy”.
  2. Right click the other attributes and select “Add to … Hierarchy”. A top-down hierarchy can be created by yourself now.
  3. Put the hierarchy you created into Fields of Hierarchy Slicer.
    123.png

Regards,

@v-sihou-msft Do you know the secret to getting the slicer property "Slicers" to appear so that I can turn off "single selection only"  The first two photos below show the two ways it apparently can be configured, but many/most times the slicer property "selection" (photo 3) does not appear in the config panel....and single selection only is the default. Thanks, Tom  

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNGCapture.PNG

ThomasDay
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

From the author: 

----------------

The current version of the slicer only allows multi-select if a item of a level only have one parent. If you look at your hierarchies: the single select version the ‘N’ and ‘Y’ items have multiple parents: ‘Disprop Share’, ‘RRC’ and ‘Teaching Hosp’. This will prevent the multi-select option.

----------------

Apparently a new version is in the works in the next few weeks as Jan's figured out how to work around the issue.  Thanks in advance!

Tom

Hi,

I found this post so I am reusing it.

I want something similar but I don't want to present the slicer as a hierarchy because it is no the idea under it.

Lets say I want to find women with blue eyes, brown hair so I will select woman, blue eyes and brown hair in the slicer where each attribute belongs to different columns but I feel unnnecesary to have a hierarchy here, also is going to make the slicer really big.

I think there is no other choice than setting up several slicers. I hope something comes as a feature as I think this is a must.

Best,

Eduardo

Thanks all for the suggestions.  These are very versatile.  Creating column heirarchy is interesting and different than creating an unpivoted data set--both of which have their place.  Thanks for opening my eyes to the possibilities.  Tom

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ThomasDay you can try power bi custom visuals gallery there are number of slicers available there including hierarchy and attribute slicer.

@ankitpatira Yes, true enough.  The heirarchy slicer works when the data is in a heirarchy (productgroup-subproduct-product.  multiple columns, each with it's own row).  So, the assessories group of products has a bunch of bike types, and then bike models.

I have a row with a bunch of attributes--one row, many attributes as columns.  Kind of like saying, I'm looking for people 6' tall, with brown hair, one arm, and yellow eyes.  Right now I have one row per person with the attributes in columns.

So perhaps the problem is just the structure and I need to create a related table with a column of attribute names and values for each "person" then use a slicer from there.  OK, that's helpful

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.