Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

comparing current year with last year

Hi guys,

I am new to power bi i want to compare the current year with Last Year. I am Having data from 2017 january to 2019 November.

I have connected through Live Cube data. I have used a formula 

Current Year = CALCULATE (SUM ( 'Table1'[TotalAmount] ),FILTER (ALLSELECTED ( 'Table1' ),FORMAT ( 'Table1'[Date], "YYYY" )= FORMAT(MAX('Table1'[Date])),"YYYY"))))

Last_year = CALCULATE (SUM ( 'Table1'[TotalAmount] ),FILTER (ALLSELECTED ( 'Table1' ),FORMAT ( 'Table1'[Date], "YYYY" )= FORMAT(EDATE(MAX('Table1'[Date]),-1),"YYYY")))

But when i click the Year filter say 2018 i must compare the 2018 and 2017 values but instead the Last year value becomes blank. I have tried using SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR Function also but the same issue is obtained. please help me with it and provide me a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Replace ALLSELECTED in the formula with ALL to see if it works, or you can try the following measure:

Current Year =
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Table1'[TotalAmount] ),
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table1' ), Table1[Date].[Year] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[Year] ) )
)
Last_year =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Table1' ),
        Table1[Date].[Year]
            = MAX ( Table1[Date].[Year] ) - 1
    )
)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Joey
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-joesh-msft
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

Replace ALLSELECTED in the formula with ALL to see if it works, or you can try the following measure:

Current Year =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table1' ), Table1[Date].[Year] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[Year] ) )
)
Last_year =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Table1' ),
        Table1[Date].[Year]
            = MAX ( Table1[Date].[Year] ) - 1
    )
)

If it doesn't meet your requirement, kindly share your sample data if you don't have any Confidential Information. Please upload your files to One Drive and share the link here.

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-joesh-msft  Hi ,

Thanks for your help. I have got it and could you tell me for calculating month wise i.e, i want to compare current month with previous month and last 3rd month. becasue when i use this Dax monthwise I cannot filter it year wise i.e, if i click the year filter say 2018 i am not getting the values for January 2018 to December 2018 instead i am getting the sum of all the years from january to December.

Current month =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER ( ALL ( 'Table1' ), Table1[Date].[month] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[month] ) )
)
Last_month =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Table1' ),
        Table1[Date].[month]
            = MAX ( Table1[Date].[month] ) - 1
    )
)

Last3Month = CALCULATE (SUM ( 'Table1'[TotalAmount] ),FILTER (ALL ( 'Table1' ),Table1[Date].[month]= MAX ( Table1[Date][month] ) - 2))

Capture (3).PNGCapture1 (1).PNG

Hi @Anonymous ,

You need to add a condition similar to the following:

Current month =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Table1' ),
        Table1[Date].[month] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[month] )
            && Table1[Date].[year] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[year] )
    )
)
Last_month =
CALCULATE (
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Table1' ),
        Table1[Date].[month]
            = MAX ( Table1[Date].[month] ) - 1
            && Table1[Date].[year] = MAX ( Table1[Date].[year] )
    )
)

Best Regards,

Hi @sathish_kumar ,

Could you post a screenshot of the model view?

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.

Please give Kudos for support.

Did I answer your question?
Please mark my post as solution, this will also help others.
Please give Kudos for support.

Marcus Wegener works as Full Stack Power BI Engineer at BI or DIE.
His mission is clear: "Get the most out of data, with Power BI."
twitter - LinkedIn - YouTube - website - podcast

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.