Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

spena
Frequent Visitor

compare individual data points to average trend

Hi, I need help with the DAX for what I am trying to do and I want to be able to show this in a graph once calculated.

I am showing annualized churn over time, by week. There is a date slider in my dashboard to select which weeks to view. Based on the weeks selected, the annualized churn for each week will be calculated and shown.

My churn measure formula is
ChurnCalc = CALCULATE((ChurnDigital[StopCopiesTotal]/ChurnDigital[AvgSubCopies]/ChurnDigital[AnnualizationFactor]*52)).

This ChurnCalc is also comprised of the following measures:

• StopCopiesTotal = CALCULATE(SUM(ChurnDigital[StopCopies]),DATESBETWEEN(ChurnDigital[WeekId],[MinDate],[DistinctMaxDate]))
  • AvgSubCopies = [SubCopiesTotal]/[AnnualizationFactor]
  • AnnualizationFactor = DATEDIFF([MinDate],[DistinctMaxDate],WEEK) +1

DistinctMaxDate is a measure also:

DistinctMaxDate =

MAXX(KEEPFILTERS(VALUES('ChurnDigital'[WeekId])), CALCULATE([MaxDate]))

I have added the average trend line via the analytics tab in the Visualizations pane. What I need is the overall average of all the ChurnCalc column, to compare to each week's ChurnCalc value, and find the difference, but am having trouble calculating it as it is a measure.

Here is a table of my values for the date range selected 2/16/20 - 3/8/20 to give a better idea of how I am calculating things. So the overall ChurnCalc average for this period is 60.10%. The point difference then on Feb 23 would be 4.7. 

Thanks for any help.

WeekIdAnnualizationFactorSubCopiesStopCopiesChurnCalcStopCopiesTotalThruDateDistinctMaxDateMinDate
2/16/202013974545960.05%4592/16/20202/16/2020
2/23/202024013939255.40%8512/23/20202/16/2020
3/1/202034052260062.66%14513/1/20202/16/2020
3/8/202044120148562.29%19363/8/20202/16/2020

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@spena 

You may try the measure below.

Measure =
AVERAGEX ( ALLSELECTED ( 'Table'[WeekId] ), [ChurnCalc] ) - [ChurnCalc]

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @v-chuncz-msft thank you for the suggestion!

I was able to solve this by creating the following measures:

ChurnCalc average =
AVERAGEX(
    ALLSELECTED('ChurnDigital'[WeekId]),
    CALCULATE([Churn])
)

Churn var to avg = ChurnDigital[Churn] - ChurnDigital[ChurnCalc average] 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
kentyler
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

When you say "What I need is the overall average of all the ChurnCalc column, to compare to each week's ChurnCalc value, "

It makes me think... maybe ALL() to the rescue.

A measure can call a measure, so you could write a measure that called ChurnCalc()

Total ChurnCalc = CALCULATE(SUM(ChurnCalc),ALL(ChurnDigital))

The ALL would remove any row context generated by a visual and give you access to all the data in your table.

I suspect that would be pretty inefficient.

You could think about writing a separate measure to calculate the yearly average. You would have to change the way the date range is defined

,DATESBETWEEN(ChurnDigital[WeekId],[MinDate],[DistinctMaxDate]))

since the average of all the weeks in the year added up should be the same as the average for the whole year.

Did this post answer your question? Mark it as a solution so others can find it!

Help when you know. Ask when you don't!