Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sbejawa
Frequent Visitor

comma separation issue when exported to Excel(CSV)

Hello,

For the currency column, I'm having problems when exporting to excel. 

In report view data is appearing with comma separation like (123,456.00).

But when i export it to excel(csv) is it coming like 123456.00

How to fix this issue? any help will be much appreciated.

thanks,

Srini

5 REPLIES 5
utkarshbiranje

I tried this and it worked.

Step 1: Go the column/measure where you cant see comma and decimal after export to excel/csv.
Step 2: Remove the comma and decimal from that column/measure in data view of power bi. Change the decimal to none or 0 or auto whatever the first option is. and then remove the comma by clicking on it.
Step 3 :Now you have to readd. Click again on that column and first Click on decimal . Add 2 decimal(Just an example).
Step 4 : Then comma would be auto selected otherwise not shown then select the comma too.
Step 5: Save , publish and export. If it works then do the same exercise for other columns.

I know it sounds weird to remove and readd, but that worked for me several times.

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @sbejawa,

As I tested, I set data type as currency format, I export it to csv file, it has not the comma seperation, please see the screenshots below. When I set as $ English(unite status), it can works fine.

shown in Power BI desktopshown in Power BI desktopexport to CSV fileexport to CSV file 1.PNG

I test it in October version, what's your Power BI desktop version? Please update the latest version and check if it works fine.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft

Thanks for the reply. I don't see comma separator in the excel file that you attachment. 

And i want to format with rupees currency format.

with $ currency sysmbol i am able get comma separator in csv.

But when i use english(India) currency format , i am not able get comma separator. And i downloaded latest version of PowerBI.

thanks,

Srini

Hi @sbejawa,

Sorry to mislead you, I edit my reply. I reproduce your scenario. After research, I find it's related to computer operation system, your os is english(us)? My local computer is english(us) version. You'd better change it in excel, please refer to this solution to change the formate in excel.

reference: https://superuser.com/questions/928536/how-do-you-format-numbers-in-excel-for-indian-currency-rupees

Best Regards,
Angelia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data format and the actual underlying data are going to be distinct when working with that underlying data. If you need that format in Excel, you'll have to use the equivalent comma-separator feature in Excel to format the value after you export the data.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.