Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

combining binaries / import data from a folder - files with new columns

Hi !

I'm importing files from a folder, from what I understood, it's called combining binaries (?). However, I have a problem, my latest files have new columns and it doesn't work : the new columns are not imported.

Is it possible to import  a folder with files with different structures (in my case added columns for some files)? How can I make it work?
I saw there are already several posts on the subject but I'm quite new to power bi and I didn't understand them enough to apply the solutions to my own problem, so sorry if the solution is obvious or so.

Thank you for your help !

Regards,

Marion

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

you will need to update your metadata when you add new columns, if they dont exist yet maybe you can create dummy columns so that when they do come through they will automatically update, what are you doing exactly?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @amitchandak. These are mainly about how to "combine all files within a given folder if they have the same file type and structure (such as the same columns)" though. My problem here is that I want to add files with new columns in my folder, and the new columns aren't imported in Power BI.

Regards,

Marion

you will need to update your metadata when you add new columns, if they dont exist yet maybe you can create dummy columns so that when they do come through they will automatically update, what are you doing exactly?

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @vanessafvg ! Thank you for your answer.

I'm working with Excel files containing monthly shipment details. They are grouped in a folder which I used as the source.

I don't see what you mean concretely by updating metadata (I'm still a beginner in Power BI) but adding columns to the previous files works, at least it shows the correct table in Power Query, without any error. However, when I try to close Power Query and apply the modifications, it fails, showing this error message : Erreur OLE DB ou ODBC: Exception de HRESULT : 0x80040E4E (OLE DB or ODBC error: HRESULT exception: 0x80040E4E) and this one : [Expression.Error] La clé ne correspondait à aucune ligne dans la table.. ([Expression.Error] The key didn't match any of the row in the table..) too, which never happened before. I don't understand why. What can I do to find from where it comes ? Do you have any idea on how I could fix it ?

Thank you very much,

Regards,

Marion

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.