Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

IngoS

column with distinct values in query has duplicates in report

Hi,

I need some help with a problem I am struggeling with. Unfortunately I cannot share the data but hopefully you still can give me some hints.

In my PowerBI Query I created a table which has a column with distinct (text) values. I double-checked that and transform-> statistics ->count distinct values returns 18884. That is the number of rows in my table, what I verified with an index channel that I created as last applied step.

So far, so good. I close&apply the query and look at the same table in my PowerBI Data View.

When I highlight my reference column the information in the status bar tells me something like: 18884 rows, 16165 distinct values. And in fact, when I use the reference column to group the table I can see that many ID's exist twice.

Something must have gone wrong!

Some additional information:

Back in the Query, I added an additional step to remove duplicates. Doing the transform-> statistics ->count distinct values evaluation returns 18884 again. That was expected. Obviously no duplicates have been removed.

Looking at this version of the query in PowerBI Data View the status bar informs: 16165 rows, 16165 distinct. So the rows that appear twice have been removed.

An interesting detail: The index column that I create during the query still has only distinct values, but my data columns are changing just as the column with my rext IDs. Some data is lost and other data is copied.

Does anybody have an idea what might be going wrong behind the scenes?

I am on the January 2017 version (64bit) on Windows10.

Data source is a mySQL database

Thanks in advance!

Ingo

2 REPLIES 2
v-sihou-msft
Employee
Employee

@IngoS

I can't reprodce your issue.

What's the data type of the "issue" column (in both source and Power BI)? Can you share .pbix or sameple data if possible?

Thanks for the reply.

The column is text on both sides - and unfortunately I can't share the .pbix

I still don't understand the behaviour. I can't garantee that I am not doing everything correctly, but either way, the same query seems to return different results in the query view and the data view. This confuses me.

I do have a workaround though. I created another, sightly differently organized query of the same data which works well.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.