Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

coop0987
Regular Visitor

column headers alignment based on column data

I would like to apply different alignments to columns within the same table. Table design best practices dictate that column headers should be aligned to match the data in the column so that the eye can easily scan down the column. And since as power BI knows, text should be aligned left while numbers are best aligned right, we should be able to match the alignment of the header to the alignment of the data in said column. Is this on the cards horizon for future improvement? 

Good article on table design for those interested in learning more: 

https://medium.com/mission-log/design-better-data-tables-430a30a00d8c

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @coop0987,

Believe this postis duplicated with the one below_:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/column-headers-alignment-based-on-column-data/m-p/406152/hig...

I have posted an answer or the previous one  please check it and delete this post if duplicated.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @coop0987

The answer of @MFelix should be the solution, if you have solved the problem, please accept his answer as a solution so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If that is not the answer, please show your expected output, so that we can help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @coop0987

The answer of @MFelix should be the solution, if you have solved the problem, please accept his answer as a solution so that people who may have the same question can get the solution directly.

If that is not the answer, please show your expected output, so that we can help further investigate on it?

Best Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @coop0987,

You can on the table or matrix defined column by column a format style on the formatting option you have tree additional settings: apply to header, apply to values and apply to total if you click on all three of them you will  get all the column with the alignment you select:

tableformat.gif

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

This in in my opinion NOT a good solution. For every table/matrix you have to make 3 adjustments for every column in the Field Formatting subsection of Format:

• choose the column
  • set alignment for every column - Auto doesn't work
  • Turn on Apply to header

A proper solution would be to add the following an on/off option in the in the  Column headers section
Align all column headers to match column Alignment

Hi @poulj ,

On the columns headers there is an option to make it transversal to all the columns however this is not based on the column format.

Don't know why this is not based on an automatic format as you refer but is the option so if you want to have different format headers in the tables/matrix visuals you need to follow the refered steps.

You can submit an idea on the specifi forum part for this feature if you believe is necessary.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

coop0987
Regular Visitor

I would like to apply different alignments to columns within the same table. Table design best practices dictate that column headers should be aligned to match the data in the column so that the eye can easily scan down the column. And since as power BI knows, text should be aligned left while numbers are best aligned right, we should be able to match the alignment of the header to the alignment of the data in said column. Is this on the cards horizon for future improvement? 

Good article on table design for those interested in learning more: 

https://medium.com/mission-log/design-better-data-tables-430a30a00d8c

Thanks!

Hi @coop0987,

Believe this postis duplicated with the one below_:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/column-headers-alignment-based-on-column-data/m-p/406152/hig...

I have posted an answer or the previous one  please check it and delete this post if duplicated.

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Yes this is great news! Thank you!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.