Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rscully
Frequent Visitor

clustered chart scaling

Can anyone explain to me why when using this clustered chart a line total, which is many cases is higher than the bar, is shown LOWER than the bar?  I can tell it must have something to do with scaling between each (actual vs budget) but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's shown this way or worse - how to fix it?!?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, I wanted to upload a picture of the chart but could not figure out how one can do that?  The chart basically looks like this:

Yr-Mth

Type       2016-01          2016-02         2016-03

Actual       13606            13052            13357

Budget      13547           13110             13547

^ in this post denotes 'greater than'

Result     Act>Bgt          Bgt>Act         Bgt>Act

Chart      Act>Bgt          Act>Bgt         Act>Bgt

As mentioned, I think the issue may be scaling because actual shows scaling of 0-14K while budget shows scaling o 12-14K.  I gather that maybe it's related to underlying data but I have not found any data in actuals that are zero. 

Thanks in advance for any help you can give to me.

Rich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rscully

The first Y-Axis of Line and column chart always starts from 0(default) or some other fixed number as you input in the Start Textbox. It is not dynamic as the secondary Y-Axis in current version.

You can vote this idea here to push it become possible in future release.

Best Regards,

Herbert

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rscully

In Format of the visual you can indicate that Secdondary axis start at 0 (Equal to your primary Y Axis)

SS.png

Lima - Peru

Hello Victor-

Thanks for getting back to me!  What i would actually like is for both axis to be on a variable scale that is equivalent to the values being displayed.  As you can see from my example, both actuals and budgets are relatively close for this location but I can't hard code the axis scale since depending on which location I would select, the range can be quite different.  I.e. one location can have actuals/budgets around 13500 while another location can have actuals/budgets of 5000 or so.

Thanks,

Rich

Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@rscully

Try doing this:

Enable Show Secondary

Put Start  0

Disabled Show Secondary

Lima - Peru

That works, kind of.  I don't want the scale to start at 0 since it then really doesn't show variances/variations very well.  I want both axis' to be dynamic to the data but as mentioned it's not working that way for me.  Thanks again.PowerBiChart_Scale.JPG

Here's another example where/when I leave the Start field blank on the secondary axis.  Notice how the 2nd axis is dynamic while the primary axis is not (i.e. it starts at zero).  I have 2 pics here with the chart itself being the same.  The only difference is I show the setting for the primary Y-axis in the first pic and the secondary axis settings in the second pic.PowerBiChart_Scale2a.JPGPowerBiChart_Scale2b.JPG

Figured out a little bit more and determined that it may be related to the chart itself.  If I select the 'line and clustered column chart,' the scale/start value on the y-axis is zero.  If I use a 'line chart,' the scale/start value on the y-axis is dynamic.  I prefer the line and clustered column chart though I'm thinking I might not to be able to unfortunately since the chart scaling doesn't work properly.

@rscully

The first Y-Axis of Line and column chart always starts from 0(default) or some other fixed number as you input in the Start Textbox. It is not dynamic as the secondary Y-Axis in current version.

You can vote this idea here to push it become possible in future release.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Thanks for the reply Herbert.  Unfortunately, that was not the answer I was looking/hoping for.  Anyway, I did as you mentioned and voted for that functionality to be added.  It's really unfortunate it does not already work that way.

Thanks again.

Rich

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.