Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jsteffe
Helper III
Helper III

choropleth map based only on latitude longitude

Hello,

I get some insect traps with their latitude and longitude.
Based on this data, I can get the following map :

map.png

But when I want to create a choropleth map, it doesn't work (I can only choose a function (sum / min / avegrage) for my latitude and longitude in this map.

Moreover, is it possible to get in a claculated column the state or the country based on the latitude and longitude ?

Thanks for your help,

Jérôme

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The question "Is a coordinate inside a shape polygon?" is surprisingly difficult to answer.  Much better to cheat and to have that information available as meta data of you coordinate. It also rarely changes so calculating it over and over is a bit pointless.

As for the display - That entirely depends on the story you want to tell with your data.  If you really (really) want to put dots inside shapes then you can always create your own map visual that does that.  Or use SVG.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
jsteffe
Helper III
Helper III

As for the administrative location, I used the function based on the Bing map API to get the location from the latitude and longitude of my points.

But I was exploring such a case : I get some farms parcels (polygons) and in another database I get some traps (points with longitude / Latitude).
How can I do the link between my points (traps) and polygons (parcels) ?

Of course, I don't get the Id of the aprcel in my traps database ...

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

choropleth maps require you to define polygons to color.  Your data points are individual traps - what should the polygons represent?

There are multiple geodecoding services available, from all the major mapping providers. They usually go down to address level, so country and state/province should be included.

I thought that using latitude and longitude, it will automatically proposed me the state/province to build the map.
But I understand with your answer that latitude and longitude in the choropleth map are devoted to polygons only.
Is it correct ?
So to create my map, I used a Bing Map function that gives me the location based on latitude and longitude ...

What you normally do is use a shape map, say with the provinces of France. Then for each of your traps you can use the province tag in the map.

But If I use a a shape map with the provinces, is it possible to locate on it my traps only with their longitude and latitude  ?

That probably depends on the map visual you are planning to use. Normally it is either/or - either you show locations, or you show shapes.

OK I was wondering if Power BI was able to do a kind of "intersect query" between my shapes (my polygons) and my traps (points with longitude and latitude).

But if I understand clearly your last answer : this is not possible ... isn't it ?

The question "Is a coordinate inside a shape polygon?" is surprisingly difficult to answer.  Much better to cheat and to have that information available as meta data of you coordinate. It also rarely changes so calculating it over and over is a bit pointless.

As for the display - That entirely depends on the story you want to tell with your data.  If you really (really) want to put dots inside shapes then you can always create your own map visual that does that.  Or use SVG.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.