Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

chiclet slicer not working as slicer if more than 2 are present on the same page

Hello,

I am using the chiclet slicer as its the only slicer i found to enable a forced selection of the only values available when filtering data. However, if i use more than 2 on the same page(i need 6) i am getting a strange behaviour of the slicer (not working) for the 4 of them. 2 are working as they should, however the last 4 are not allowing to select any of the chiclet options anymore despite having the chiclet slier selected and they look strange:
Capture.JPG
Any ideas what is happening here and why the slier breaks after used more than 2 times?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

After playing for a while i found that the issue is caused by blank values. When there were many pesent the filter was unable to determine what to do, therfore was becoming broken. So i recreated my measure to exclude blank values and now the filter is working as intended. Rather strange that it broke the filter in my opinion but anways...thanks for trying to help @Pragati11 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Pragati11
Super User
Super User

Hi @natabird3 ,

Can you please provide some clear screenshots here?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

LinkedIn | Twitter | Blog YouTube 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!!

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I think the screenshots are fine, the point is the menu options for say general (forced selection) is disapeared once i have multiple slicers on the same page, here is what it should look like when working correctly:

Capture1.JPG

In the original post the screenshot you can see on the menu i am only seeing a few of the menu options available despite using the same chiclet sliver. Hope this explains better where the issue is.

Hi @natabird3 ,

In your 1st screeshot, if I am undertanding correctly; chiclet slicers are the one with BLACK background. Right?

You haven't selected them. You have selected a card visual I suppose, for which the options are shown different in the Format pane.

Am I understanding the issue correctly?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! This will help others on the forum!

Appreciate your Kudos!!

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

No, this is why i shared the screenshot like this. i have 6 slicers and all of them are chiclet slicers (you can see on the right in the visual pane the highlighted slicer is chiclet). the first two are working as intended and displaying the data correctly however, the third and below are broken for some reason (and no longer working as chiclet slicer even though they are chiclet slicers). i am not sure why it breaks and is there a way to fix it?

Hi @natabird3 ,

Can you do one test for me please?

Click on your 3rd slicer which is apparing wrong now; then in visualisations pane, select "chiclet Slicer" visual.

Does this bring back your chiclet slicer?

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

No, that doesnt fix it. i tried deleting and re-creating it also didnt work. It used to work a few days ago but now when i re-open my file i noticed a strange behaviour and it is no longer working as expected. i read online lots of similar issues with the slicer where it used to work and then it broke. I guess its a normal behaviour? but anyway to fix it or contact support for this visual? I really just need a forced selection if other filters had this option I would have used them instead...

Hi @natabird3,

Is it possible for you share the pbix file, because I don't see that issue at my end?

I am JUNE 2020 power bi updated version.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Unfortunately, cannot as its direct query. The issue seems to go and come back...I have recreated the filters using same data on another page it worked well. Once i saved and played a bit with filtering the data and it broke again. Then the one on main page where i shared the error was fixed, and now again broken. So i think its really the filter just breaking and fixing on its own. It is unreliable filter to be used i guess for the time being. 

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

After playing for a while i found that the issue is caused by blank values. When there were many pesent the filter was unable to determine what to do, therfore was becoming broken. So i recreated my measure to exclude blank values and now the filter is working as intended. Rather strange that it broke the filter in my opinion but anways...thanks for trying to help @Pragati11 

HI @natabird3 ,

May be that's the reason because I don't have any blank values in my chiclet slicer.

I generally prefer cleaning data in Power BI special missing values and this solves most of the issues.

Thanks,

Pragati

Best Regards,

Pragati Jain

MVP logo

Appreciate your Kudos!!

natabird3
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Indeed, i was forcing a rank on the visuals to display countries by spend for a specific period, so some countries didnt generate any and hence they were blank creating the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.