Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

lastnn30
Post Patron
Post Patron

changing date from text to date

Hi

I have a column which has [Text Date Text] in one cell. I used power query to split text and date into different columns. Now I have the Date in one column but in Text format. I click on ABC of Power Query and change the format to Date but I got many error message inside the column. Please see screenshots and I also attaching the link to the file. How can I fix that? Coverting the format of date from text to date in power query. Thank you very much.SNAG-0705.jpgSNAG-0706.jpgSNAG-0707.jpg

The file is here

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QSYjZ_9rPKZrKjSWMXnJfrVZPlu1jmlE/view?usp=sharing

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the issue. This uses the optional "culture" argument of Table.TransformColumnTypes to pick the appropriate way of interpreting the date format.

Another way to do this is to tweak the M code directly. If the date format is dd/mm/yyyy, then you can write

Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    #"Split Column by Delimiter",
    {
        {"Item.1", type text},
        {"Item.2", type date},
        {"Item.3", type text},
        {"Sales", type number}
    },
    "en-IN"
)

If the date format is mm/dd/yyy, then use "en-US" for the last argument instead.

(There are plenty of other cultural choices but these are the two I remember for the sake of date interpretation.)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I can't open your source. so, simulated this, and didn't see the issue. 

I hope this answer helps you.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 232157.pngScreenshot 2022-05-13 232231.pngScreenshot 2022-05-13 232256.png

ribisht17
Super User
Super User

@lastnn30 

I don't see any issues with a similar dataset.

Can't open your file, not in the correct format

DataSource.Error: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\153707\Desktop\PowerBI\weeks\7\More PQ Examples.xlsx'.
Details:
C:\Users\153707\Desktop\PowerBI\weeks\7\More PQ Examples.xlsx

Please check 

Regards,

Ritesh

Jihwan_Kim
Super User
Super User

Hi,

I cannot see the information in Power Query Editor, since the source file is not accessible.

However, I assume that PBI desktop is setup as to show USA date structure, but the data shows different date structure.

I suggest try the below.

In Power Query Editor, select the column -> right click -> Change type -> Using locale -> Data type: Date -> Locale: English(Netherlands) or English(UK)

If this post helps, then please consider accepting it as the solution to help other members find it faster, and give a big thumbs up.

Go to My LinkedIn Page

Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is the issue. This uses the optional "culture" argument of Table.TransformColumnTypes to pick the appropriate way of interpreting the date format.

Another way to do this is to tweak the M code directly. If the date format is dd/mm/yyyy, then you can write

Table.TransformColumnTypes(
    #"Split Column by Delimiter",
    {
        {"Item.1", type text},
        {"Item.2", type date},
        {"Item.3", type text},
        {"Sales", type number}
    },
    "en-IN"
)

If the date format is mm/dd/yyy, then use "en-US" for the last argument instead.

(There are plenty of other cultural choices but these are the two I remember for the sake of date interpretation.)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors