Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

LizziePeters
Helper I
Helper I

changing data type error: record to text

Hi, wondering whether anyone might be able to help me please!

I am trying to expand a list in my dataset using delimiters to expand the selection.  When I try and split using a delimiter, it brings up an error, as follows, and I have no idea why!

LizziePeters_1-1604313729818.png

I have tried changing the data type and an unable to, see red circled box below.

Would anyone have any ideas please?  Thank you so much!

LizziePeters_0-1604313600748.png

4 REPLIES 4
v-jayw-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LizziePeters ,

Check the following topic about the same error.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Power-Query/Struggling-to-transform-list-of-properties-into-columns... 

Best Regards,

Jay

Community Support Team _ Jay
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution
to help the other members find it.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@LizziePeters , have tried expending the list. There is an icon on the right corner of the column name. Try to use the expand icon and split.

Hi, thanks for coming back to me.  Yes, I have tried this but when I expand the list and split by delimiter it records the error message.  I think it's because the data type is wrong, but I can't change the data type.

Thanks for trying to help me fix this!

LizziePeters_0-1604325464408.png

Hi @LizziePeters 

You're getting the error because the Lists in the column contain Records that look like [Label="Hong Kong", TermGuid="260f433-49df-4465-a194-as565as45", WssId=16] and that record can't be converted to text.

Try this, 

1. Click on the doubel headed arrow at the top of the column and then click on Expand to New Rows. This should give you a column of Records

2. Click on the double headed arrow again and then on OK to extract the data from the records.

If I answered your question please mark my post as the solution.
If my answer helped solve your problem, give it a kudos by clicking on the Thumbs Up.

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.