Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

change the format date of the date hierarchy

Hi everyone,

I would like to change the format of the date.

In fact, I used the date  hierarchy with only Year and Month. After,  I drill down a level of the hierarchy to display the measure by month/year.

The display is not nice to see and I would like to change the format. How can I do it ? I have tried to change the format in the Edit Query or in the Schema part with the custom format but it remains the same thing

It's the current result

Capture.PNG

mmm/yy would be really nice

Thank you and have a nice weekend !

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not change the format of the date hierarchy, I suggest you to create custome data hierarchy. You could refer to below link to create multiple date columns,  and you can achieve hierarchy function by adding multiple columns(Year, Month)  to the "Axis" of a bar or column chart. This way, the chart will also enable you to dill down the data.

Reference:https://kohera.be/blog/power-bi/how-to-create-a-date-table-in-power-bi-in-2-simple-steps/

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous,

You may create a custom data hierarchy using FORMAT function for each level in the hierarchy.  You may also disable the concatenate option so the year on the most bottom part of the Y axis with the month name on top. 

Please share the specific format you have in mind. It might be doable.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Jorgast
Resolver II
Resolver II

Have you thought about just doing

Column Name = Format(Date, "MMM - YYYY") This will eliminate the drill-down feature.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous @Jorgast 

Currently, I'm using the formula FORMAT with mmm/yy for my date column.

Your solution is good but it works only when you don't need to do an agregation. I have to count lines for each month that's why I must use the date hierarchy and in this case the FORMAT with mmm/yy doesn't work anymore

You can correct me if it is wrong 🙂

Hi @Anonymous 

Based on my research, I am afraid you could not change the format of the date hierarchy, I suggest you to create custome data hierarchy. You could refer to below link to create multiple date columns,  and you can achieve hierarchy function by adding multiple columns(Year, Month)  to the "Axis" of a bar or column chart. This way, the chart will also enable you to dill down the data.

Reference:https://kohera.be/blog/power-bi/how-to-create-a-date-table-in-power-bi-in-2-simple-steps/

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

I have just selected the name of the Date hierarchy in the Fields panel and typed the format in the Format box, rather than trying to select from the drop down, on the Home ribbon.

Power BI has happily saved this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a custom date format from the Model view, but not the Date view.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can create a new column and use it: =FORMAT([DATE];"MMM/YY")

then, use the field date o sort this column (Select the new column, click on "Modeling", click on "Sort by Column" and select the field Date) 

Hi, the problem I have with this calculated column is that the order is alphabetical, not by # of month as it happens with Data Hierarchy 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.