Why do you want to do this? A primary key in Power Pivot is used to join a lookup table to a fact table. There is no point doing this unless the key exists in both tables. So it is not as simple as just adding a key. The key must match, so an Index column alone wont help you.
* Matt is a Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.
I want to change the primary key column to another column, because i applied an unpivot on my table and primary key has became not primary with duplicated values, and i need a colomn with identified values like Index, is it clearer?
Could you please post the full error message in English and share sample data of your scenario?
Generally, we will need to create/define Primary key at data source level and then import it into Power BI. Another option is to use DAX in Power BI to combine several columns so that each row has unique values.
Thanks, Lydia Zhang
Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
I'm receiving this same error... I made edits to my query and now I cant change the data model to resolve it because the data model is waiting for the query changes to be applied... but those cant be changed due to the error that the column is considered the Primary Key of the table....
To get around this issue, I added a Step in my Query to remove duplicates on the particular column... this allowed me to successfully apply the query. Then I loaded the data model, deleted the relationship. Next I went back in and removed my Query Step: Removed Duplicate to bring back to the original table and now I am reapplying the proper relationship. Phew! Problem solved.
2. Add Column; Index Column; From 0 or 1. Call it Index.
3. Create a copy of the column that the editor thinks is your primary key. Call it "Primary - Copy".
4. Delete the column that the editor thinks is your primary key (so delete "Primary" column in this example.) This will force the editor to assume a different primary key. It will choose the Index column as your new primary key.
5. Apply your changes.
6. Go back and rename the "Primary - Copy" to its orignial name.