Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

vitexo87
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

change field name only in the chart

it is possible to rename the column name only in a chart object?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

The short answer is no. There is one model that applies to all visuals. I suggest you to work your Semantic Layer and avoid duplicating columns unnecessarily whenever possible.

However, you could rename certain servers certain ways vs other to hide their identities by using DAX to create a new column as suggested but with IF statements.

Something similar will do the trick:

Friendly Server Name = IF([Server Name]= "Server", "Server 1", [Server Name] )

Thanks,

Fahd

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
itayrom
Resolver II
Resolver II

You can create an "identity" calculated column with the desired name, for example-

NewColumnName = [OldColumnName]

and use the new column in your chart instead of the old one.

could you give an example with my data? because I used his example here and did not work:

Table: Fact
column: Server
new name: Server1

The short answer is no. There is one model that applies to all visuals. I suggest you to work your Semantic Layer and avoid duplicating columns unnecessarily whenever possible.

However, you could rename certain servers certain ways vs other to hide their identities by using DAX to create a new column as suggested but with IF statements.

Something similar will do the trick:

Friendly Server Name = IF([Server Name]= "Server", "Server 1", [Server Name] )

Thanks,

Fahd

@vitexo87 The change would need to be done in your model. Based on the above suggestion you would go to the table that contains column: Server and right click on the table - "Add Column" and type in the DAX function listed above. In your case 

Server1 = [Server]

Then, in the visual, you would use the new column. 

There is no way to change the field names in visuals, so you either need to change the column name in the table, or create a little bloat in your model by adding a duplicate column as described.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG
mahimabedi
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

I believe no.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.