Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jadewind
Helper I
Helper I

categorize free text field

Hi everyone,

My data has a free text field and I hope to categorize this field to be able to analyze it. 

Currently I am developing a conditional column to do it one by one. For example if the value of the free text field contains certain keywords, then they belong to category A, if it contains some other keywords, then they belong to category B etc. I am still developing my categories as I go. I expect there will be at least 10-20 categories. There are a few thousand records in the data source. Since there can be multiple keywords that can be matched into one category, I have already had about 20 conditions in my conditiona column, and still going. 

I just wonder if there is a more efficient way to do it, eg. is it possible to develop a keyword-category table and link this table to the data source somehow, then if the free text field of a record has a keyword then it will be linked to the corresponding category?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Phil_Seamark
Employee
Employee

There are several blogs that describe using AzureML to categorise text data such as this.  But requires shelling out to AzureML & cortana?

Otherwise you can take advantage of R to perform an onthe fly categorisation over your text column.  

How much data to you have in terms of rows?

To learn more about DAX visit : aka.ms/practicalDAX

Proud to be a Datanaut!

Can you link to a few of these please? im also interested in doing exactly this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.