Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ninsights
Helper III
Helper III

cant install power bi desktop

I posted a question yesterday to which the solution was "it works better in the desktop version of Power BI." So, I installed the desktop version.

Then, when I try to launch Power BI desktop, I get a box saying "initializing model" and when that goes away, I get a black screen where it looks like something is written in the upper right hand corner (but I can't read what it says).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, it is definitely a local display issue and this morning I managed to figure it out. I am running two screens. If I disconnect my external display from my laptop, then start Power BI, it works. Then I can plug my external display back in and it will work too. So they key to making Power BI work for me is to start it with only one screen and then plug in screen #2.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ninsights,

Based on my research, this issue can be caused by various reasons. And following are some workarounds I have found.Smiley Happy

Solution 1: Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

Power BI Desktop obtains its setting from Internet Explorer, so we need to make the change there.

1. Close Power BI Desktop

2. Open Internet Explorer

3. Click on Tools > Internet Options > Advanced > Check: Accelerated Graphics: "Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering"

4. Close all Internet Explorer windows and tabs

5. Open Power BI Desktop

Solution 2: Try stopping Nahimic for MSI if you're running Power BI Desktop on a MSI laptop. 

Solution 3: Try installing the 32 bit instead of 64 bit version of PBI Desktop from here.

Regards

I changed the graphics option in Explorer. That got me to a sign-in window when Iaunch the program, but no further.

I do not have a MSI laptop.

I then installed the 32 bit version. It behaves the same way as the 64 bit version now. I can close the Window. I can see a really granular printing of my name in the upper-right corner. I can click on the black space and get the FILE menu, but only because I know where it's supposed to be. I can't actually SEE the word File on the screen.

Hi @ninsights,

As the issue seems more related to the local system configuration, and I cannot reproduce it on my side, I would suggest you create a support ticket on Power BI Support for better assistance on this issue.Smiley Happy

Regards

Yes, it is definitely a local display issue and this morning I managed to figure it out. I am running two screens. If I disconnect my external display from my laptop, then start Power BI, it works. Then I can plug my external display back in and it will work too. So they key to making Power BI work for me is to start it with only one screen and then plug in screen #2.

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.