Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

steveo250k
Advocate I
Advocate I

can't sign up work email

I can't sign up to Power BI Desktop because my work email contains an apostrophe.  xxxxx.o'shxxxxx@company.com.  This is my OUTLOOK email address.  This is a valid address.  I can send myself emails at work from my personal yahoo account to my work email address.  OUTLOOK IS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT!!!  Therefore this is a valid email address, certainly as far as MS is concerned.

How can I sign up to use PowerBI when MS does not recognize my valid work email address?!?

8 REPLIES 8
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @steveo250k,

Actually, current outlook account still not in support list.

What email address can be used with Power BI?

Power BI requires that you use a work, or school, email address to sign up. Power BI does not support email addresses provided by consumer email services or telecommunication providers. This includes outlook.com, hotmail.com, gmail.com and others.

Reference link:

Signing up for Power BI as an individual

Maybe you can vote below idea which has the similar requirement.

can i sign in with my personal email login?

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

My work email address contains an apostrophe.  It is an Outlook/Active Directory (I'm not sure where the system administrators actually created the address) created email address.  It is NOT outlook.com  It is CRST.com.  The company owns the domain. That is not the issue.  The issue is the apostrophe in the name part of the address.

I mentioned Outlook to point out that an apostrophe is a valid character for the name part of an email address and that the address does work between various other email servers.  I pointed out Outlook ( NOT OUTLOOK.COM) because it is a Microsoft product specifically designed to handle email and it is ok with the apostrophe.  It is the Power BI people, another Microsoft product, that have an issue.  If I try to register using my work email without the apostrophe, the Power BI registration page works.  But of course I never receive the registration code because without the apstrophe it is not my email address.

Sorry, but no, v-shex-msft, you have not answered the question.

Hi @steveo250k,

>>it is an Outlook/Active Directory (I'm not sure where the system administrators actually created the address) created email address.

You need to use Azure Active directory account, current on premise AD account seems not support.

Reference:

You would need to establish Azure Active Directory (AAD) in your environment as Power BI uses Azure Active Directory (AAD) to authenticate users who login to the Power BI service.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

No, I need to use Qlik, JasperReport, or some other tool.

It's a simple bug on Microsoft's sign up web page.  It has nothing to do with AD or cloud networks or anything else.  It is a simple bug on the sign up web page that is incorrectly trying to validate the format of an email address.  My email address has a valid format and is a work email address.  The domain meets all the criteria Microsoft has set for work email addresses.

The problem is the apostrophe in the name part of my work email address.  It's, incorrectly, failing when the web page itself tries to validate it before sending it to Microsoft to create the account.    Going to some other active directory or email server won't fix this.  My email will still have an apostrophe and the Microsoft sign up web page will still reject it.  It doesn't matter where the email comes from.

Besides, we don't use Azure.  Therefore we don't have Azure Active Directory.  Are suggesting the entire company move to Azure just to fix this one issue?  And it won't fix the issue anyhow.

Hi @steveo250k,

I think the issue is resolved. You can now register with email addresses that have apostrophe in them. I just tested with mike'o@mycompany.com and it worked. 

Screenshot_20180821-202028.png

Screenshot_20180821-201116.pngScreenshot_20180821-200427.png

The instructions for this I found very poor! Here's how I successfully made it through using a person email address to setup Power Bi free trial without a business email.

1) Register for a Office 365 free trial with my personal email address
2) Visit Microsoft page to transform your personalemail@gmail.com email address into a microsoft business email address. I Created MyName.on.microsoft.com as my Web address and info@MyName.on.microsoft.com as my new business email address.
3) Next visit the start free trial https://signup.microsoft.com/create-account/signup and use the work email or microsoft work email address to complete the sign in process.

Hopefully this will save another user hours and allow you to start learning sooner!

HI @steveo250k,

>>It's, incorrectly, failing when the web page itself tries to validate it before sending it to Microsoft to create the account.

As you said, the issue is due to your work email contains invalid characters. 

If this is a case, I'd like to suggest you to contact to admin to submit a support ticket for this issue or try to replace the invalid path characters which existed your work email address.

Support Ticket.gif

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

steveo250k
Advocate I
Advocate I

I can't sign up for PowerBI Desktop because my work email has an apostrophe (xxxxx.o'sxxxxxx@company.com).  This is my OUTLOOK email address.  This is a valid email address.  I can use this address to send email to my work account from my personal yahoo and gmail accounts.  IT WORKS!!  OUTLOOK IS A MICROSOFT PRODUCT!!!  Therefore this is a MS recognized email address!!!

Why doesn't the PowerBI folks recognize this?  More to the point, how can I use PowerBI Desktop when I can't sign up?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.