Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

caller_id with caller details

Hi All,

Forgive me if this question is already answered but, I am facing issues with my data model. I have a fact table with a column caller_i and contains the actual name of the corresponding caller and it is type text. there is a dimension that has all the details of the respective caller.

I want to link this dimension to the caller id but not successful even I tried creating a surrogate key in my caller dimension and linking it back to fact. I assume this is because names can be the same. Below is the screenshot of my user table. I am trying to link this dimension using the Userkey to the fact. You can see I have the same names in the dimension.Capture20.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft I was able to resolve this using surrogate key in fact and dimension table. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

I wonder if your data model is a star schema and what the cross filtering directions between tables are like. Are there any error messages when you link this dimension to the caller id?

Power BI Desktop looks at column names in the tables you're querying to determine if there are any potential relationships. If there are, those relationships are created automatically. If Power BI Desktop can't determine with a high level of confidence there's a match, it doesn't create the relationship. However, you can still use the Manage relationships dialog box to manually create or edit relationships. For further information, please refer Create and manage relationships in Power BI Desktop .

Cross filtering both directions works well with a star schema. If you have a table pattern like below, with loops, cross filtering can create an ambiguous set of relationships. For example, if you sum up a field from TableX and then choose to filter by a field on TableY, then it’s not clear how the filter should travel, through the top table or the bottom table.

e1.png

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-alq-msft I was able to resolve this using surrogate key in fact and dimension table. 

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , You can create a combined column and use it but looking at this data I am not sure you can do that.

Can you share sample data and sample output in table format?

New Key = [Employee Name] & "-" & [Col2]

You need to this kind of column on both side to have a single key

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi @amitchandak. Below is the sample data the name column in the table is caller id in the fact table.

nameEntitysys_created_onsys_updated_onu_cap_buu_cap_sbuu_employee_typeUserKey
 Usha UshaCIS################India MSCloud Infrastructure Services (CIS)Employee242846
? O365Unknown################  Employee1
A Anshuman PatraDEMS################DEMS India OBUEngineering ServicesEmployee2
A AshokEurope################Apps India OBU SAP AMEurope SBUEmployee3
a baba sai venkata ganeshDEMS################DEMS India OBUEngineering ServicesEmployee239934
A BalakrishnaAmericas & APAC################APAC PlatformAmericas & APAC SBUEmployee4
A Bhanu ChanderAmericas & APAC################LP AS NA AandAAmericas & APAC SBUEmployee5
A Bharath Teja ReddyFS################FS SBU Global CostsGlobal FS SBUEmployee6
A Bhargava ReddyI&D################I and D India ACISInsights & DataEmployee7

@Anonymous , User Key should be unique on both side

else new column in both tables

Key  = [User Key]  & "-" & [Enity]

or

Key  = [User Key]  & "-" & [Enity] & "-" & [Name]

See if this can work out

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi, @amitchandak UseKey is the value I created it's not coming from the database. My fact table only has caller-is which is the user name .

All other information like entity and others are in the user table not in fact.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.